• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

unique dohc carbs???

he_revolts

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Where do I start? I have a 1982 CB750K that I bought 4yrs ago & parked in my garage for a rainy day project. Well this spring is the yr she WILL be running. I'm very mechanically inclined, understand the theory behind most systems, & not afraid to get my hands dirty. First thing is a good carb cleaning. I bought a kit from Randakk & purchased Mike Nixon's rebuild guide. During the tear down I've noticed a couple of inconsistantcies between my carbs, Mike's guide & of course the haynes manual is consistantly incorrect. My first observation was there were no washer or o-ring beneath none of the idle screws. Is this correct? Secondly I could not break loose the main nozzle hidden under the primary jet. They didn't look like a typical flat head screw, more like 2 V's (><). I decided to leave those in after I saw a tiny flake if brass break loose while trying to get the first one loose. Will these get clean enough through soaking & carb spray cleaner? Did damage the one the scrrwdriver slipped on to a point it will affect performance? Thanks in advance for any help!

They have to have washers and orings or you will have idle issues. There are special bits that fit the piece you are talking about, good bit sets normally come with them. Depends on how dirty your carbs are if your spray cleaner will work. More than likely you will never get those carbs to run great, maybe OK. If you really want to keep the bike for a while then I suggest start looking for aftermarket carbs. If you are just looking for a once in a while bike to ride try cleaning them and see how it runs and if you are satisfied with your cleaning results. These carbs never ran perfect from the factory and only get worse with age.

Thanks for the suggestions dirtdigger. I'm going to give it a good effort cleaning & restoring before I resort to dropping cash on new carbs. Do you have any suggestions regarding aftermarket carbs if it comes to it? CRs?

Check out CycleX for carbs. CR's are not the best carb for a street ridden bike, they can be used but are designed and oriented toward racing.

Back