• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Outside the barn find

rok2k12

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So the mistake I made was asking "so how much for all three?" 75 CB750F 24K miles, 77 CB750K 28K miles and an 86 CB450SC Nighthawk thrown in. Most of the pieces are there - just ugly! I think I'll sell off the 450, rob the K of parts, sell the rest and build the F Supersport into a cafe project. First step is getting all the pine tar off these beauties.

Attachments

• DSC00030.jpg
    DSC00030.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC00031.jpg
    DSC00031.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 266
Tough question. The bikes cost me a bottle of Crown Royal plus the trailer rental, fuel and time to drive from PHX to Ogden, UT round trip... I'll update that number after i get further along!

Well that nighthawk probably A has no 2nd gear B does not charge C has tremendous cam chain noises. Poor things dont part out for squat, sell the side covers, carbs, the alternator, a couple more peices and its a hulk you cant give away. Better to find someone that wants to fix it and sell it whole. I just put a nearly whole one in the scrap yard, becasue the parts didnt sell. I have a good tank for it if you need it, along with the tail section.
Like to see more pics of those SOHC, nice find overall.

Update

The CB450 Nighthawk turned out to be the best of the three. New tires, seat cover, boiled the tank and cleaned the carbs. Rebuilt the brakes. Replaced the mirrors, tail light and the levers. I spent lots of hours taking things apart and polishing plus repainted all the plastic and the tank. Runs and shifts great, I spent about $350 and gave it to my grandson.

I gave the 77 CB750K to a buddy and it is at the Limmie's in Austin. He is building a CR replica with full fairings. ROC City is fabricating a polished aluminum gas tank with the oil tank built in and fabricating the aluminum tail to conceal the battery. All the wires will go through the frame so it should look pretty clean. The motor is almost finished to an 836cc and it will probably be another 3-4 months before the build is finished. I said to my friend "so when you said you wanted to build a bike you meant write the check?"

The 75 CB750F is stripped to the last bolt. I rebuilt the carbs to get it running to make sure it shifted. The compression is okay, a bit lower in one hole so I am weighing the options (how far do I go) for a rebuild. I finished the mods to the frame and the forks and will send a bunch of stuff out for powder coat in the next few weeks. I have been rebuilding other components and gathering pieces, seat, rims, bars to complete the build but this time of year is a busy season for me and great riding weather so this will be a slow build.

What are the compression readings? You may want to run the motor to see if it comes up after it runs and gets the rings lubricated again.

Compression

Three are at 150 - 160 and #2 is 120. All approximate and I'll get around to a better gauge for the next test. I squirted some oil around the valves and some in the cylinders and plan to adjust the valves this weekend.

I would run it. The one is low but it could come up after running the motor. Engine should be at operating temperature for accurate compression test. Definitely adjust valves. Do the regular tuneup stuff, adjust cam chain, check/set points and dwell and timing. Be sure to sync the carbs when you get it running also. Makes a big difference in idle smoothness.

Sounds just like how I got my first honda, outside a tobacco barn. Great way to start a new project. Post up some pics!

I sold my 450SC a few years ago and have missed it every since. In all honesty it was more fun to drive than my CB750. I had done a fair amount of custom stuff to it and was wanting to do more. I'd buy another one if it crossed my path for the right price.
Here's a picture of it after paint.
h2.jpg

Back