• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'81 DOHC cam chain adjustment proceedure

Kannonball

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I just bought an '81 CB 750K. The bike has not been run for many years but I was able to get it started and above 2000 RPM it sounded pretty good. However, at idle it has a significant rattle that sounds much like I expect a loose timing chain would (I'm a pretty fair mechanic but not familier with vintage Honda 4's) I would like to try to adjust the chain before I do much more to the bike. I found one outline of the adjustment procedure on line but it was pretty vague. Could anyone give me a step-by-step including problems I might encounter? If I understand the procedure I read, I must rotate the engine while first loosening , then tightening the front adjuster bolt, the rear adjusters are different and don't have the bolt and lock-nut I see on the front. How are these adjusted? Just loosen and retighten? Do I also rotate the engine while tightening the rear adjusters?
Thanks,
Bruce

Back