• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Can't figure out my paint color?

Pawl

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
I just about have my CB all ready to roll, seems like the bike will almost magically start when my finger gets about an inch from the starter button, it starts that well (that ultrasonic carb cleaning I did helped immensely I'll bet). All I really have left is to adjust the chain oiler and chain, but unfortunately the bike is trapped behind a construction zone, that is the new half of our house and I won't be able to bring the bike to the road till the foundation is backfilled, maybe a couple more weeks. . . . the patience is driving me nutz!
Anyway my bike has a couple tiny paint chips on it that I plan on ordering some touch up paint from England (unless someone knows a good place on this continent). http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php the site says that it has both colors, one of which I think mine is, either Maxim Brown Metallic, or Candy Bucchus Olive.
These first 2 pics I got from http://www.spookytoms.com/CB750-PaintColors.html for the 1973 CB750. To me they both look too close to call, but I am kind of color blind too!, so I asked my girfriend (who is an artist), and she thinks my bike is black?!

1973CB750-Im-2a.jpg
1973CB750-Im-3a.jpg

and these are pics of my bike when I first got it (shitty weather today to take pics)

img_1795_w1000_h750.jpg

img_1803_w1000_h750.jpg

img_1804_w1000_h750.jpg

img_1826_w1000_h750.jpg

img_1845_w1000_h750.jpg

IMG_2570.JPG

Last edited:
Honestly I think it has been repainted a non factory honda color. The side cover paint is too "orange peel" to be factory. Surprisingly Honda gave these bikes a decent paint job back then. You also have a 69 to 72 style stripe on the tank. 73 is the start of a different style of tank stripe. To me it looks like a metallic black or maybe a graphite type color and they never had a black or close to black color. Maybe it is just the pictures that make your paint look black? Its a nice color but I dont think it is factory. IMHO

paint

Honestly I think it has been repainted a non factory honda color. The side cover paint is too "orange peel" to be factory. Surprisingly Honda gave these bikes a decent paint job back then. You also have a 69 to 72 style stripe on the tank. 73 is the start of a different style of tank stripe. To me it looks like a metallic black or maybe a graphite type color and they never had a black or close to black color. Maybe it is just the pictures that make your paint look black? Its a nice color but I dont think it is factory. IMHO

If you have any autobody supply stores near you they usually have a scan tool, they can scan afew places ont he parts and come up with a blendable match, works great, I've got 30 years in the paint/body business. Good Luck:thumbsup:

it a repaint for sure Ive always been a fan of Honda's cooler colors the yellow and candy reds even the black is nice

Sorry 'bout not getting back to this thread, it's been nut's here with home construction and have pretty much put all my cycle projects on hold. Thanks guys for your help. Saved me getting the wong paint, and gave me a little insight as to the history of this machine. Thanks dirt digger for pointing out the stripe anomaly, you know .. . I never noticed that, until you mentioned it?? Anyway it seems like I have '73 repainted as a '69 - '72 in a custom color, here's my data plate, engine S/N
IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

It tell's me that it is a '73, being built in Nov. of 72, and I checked some sites that confirm it is within the S/N range to be a '73

maybe the original color was gold? Kinda weird though that the inside of the sidecover is not rippled, and "looks" factory . . . but the gold?, . . . and the white? (uncolored?)
sidecover2.jpg

I looked closer at the tank, and yes it does appear rippled, although not as pronounced as the plastic. (I'll try to get a close, clear pic of it)
100_0579_w1000_h750.jpg

I'm going to Victoria B.C. on the 18th of Aug, there's a good auto supply store there called "Lordco" (closest we have here is a small Napa, and Bumper to Bumper). Lordco can match paint with some kind of ailen technology lightbulb/box, so I will carefully pack one of the sidecovers, and hope it don't get cracked in my luggage (I'd much rather drive the bike down to Victoria).

Last edited:
That yellow color is just the type of plastic they use in manufacture wearing through. it's kind of a resin cast product that they use today for repro covers.

Back