• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Too hot?

motogtp

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I have been fighting some tuning issues for some time. Now I am thinking it may be heat related. The bike always starts when cold but seems to foul plugs a lot. Today I started the bike from cool, not cold, and let it run for less than 10 minutes. Revved it up a few times during that period. About 3 minutes after I shut if off I tried to put my palm on the top of the head cases. I couldn't hold it there for more than 3 seconds. Is that normal? The oil tank was warm but nowhere near hot. I am going to pull the pan and check the oil pump but thought I would ask the forum. What should I look for when I am down there?

10 min running motor + revving while not riding on an air cooled motor? Ya, it could run hot, especially if wasn't dead cold to start with.

Before tearing out the oil pump, I'd check beneath the right (cyl 4) valve caps for oil (while running) to establish if you get sufficient oil up there. If this is a SOHC that is? If you get the oil bag warm that's good. It shouldn't get as hot as the cylinder head anyways.

Thanks Stabler. I did pull the pan just to check the pump screen. Everything looked good so I didn't pull the pump. Thanks for the oil cap suggestion. I will check but I think I am just not "air-cooled motor" calibrated yet.

Personally I will never sit still with an air cooled motor longer than a couple of minutes, if I am caught in traffic I shut it down. In my opinion 10 minutes is too long sitting still, if you are in a garage or shop put a big fan blowing on the motor if you must run it for more than a couple of minutes.

Good advice DD. I do have a fan in the garage. Now that it is getting warmer I will be more diligent with it. I am hoping to get the carb vacuum and sync done this weekend. If that doesn't fix the problems then the only thing left is the CycleX ignition (which I love 'cuz it revs up so quick). Take care.

Back