• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Radiator only no oil tank

Merdenoms

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post in this forum but I use it regularly (only reading) till now...

I wanted to know your toughts on placing a radiator on my CB750F 76 and eliminating the oil tank. Kind of using the radiator as the oil tank. I know the oil tank removal has already been discussed over here but I cant find anything on removing the oil tank and plcing a radiator instead.
Im using a CycleX camshaft CX4. So what are the chances I will be blowing out my engine or still be able to ride around with decent temps?

Im considering a nighthawk Radiator or the biggest I cant fit.

Any suggestions will be aprecciated

Thanks! :D

I like the thinking. Most of the available oil is in the tank with little in the crankcase so it would have to be able to hold a couple of quarts at least, I think.

Its not that simple. The point of the oil tank is to hold the oil until needed by the pressure pump. The 750 has two oil pumps built into one unit, a scavenge and a pressure pump. The scavenge pump pumps more volume then the pressure pump does. The scavenge pump is also what oils the transmission through a split in the galleries inside the motor, not the pressure pump. You would have two pumps fighting themselves. The tank also serves as a way to compensate for the expansion of oil when it warms up as well as a place for air and oil to separate. It might work for a couple of miles until you starve the motor for oil or blow a hose or something. There is a reason the tank is there dont eliminate it.

Yes im putting some though on the pumps issue, you are totally right Dirtdigger, Im still trying to figure out a way with pump relocation and figuring out how much oil can a radiator hold, which from what I´ve seen isnt enough. Im also thinking a smaller oil tank kind of hidden under the seat or behind the carbs betwwen the frame and the radiator idea all at the same time.

I know this topic is long-dead, but this 'oil tank removal' question keeps on coming back.. We, Outsiders Motorcycles from the Netherlands, have been working on this problem for the last 3 years. We've come up with a kit that enables you to completely remove the stock oiltank on virtually all ohc 750's. Please take a look on www.SumpThing.net as this is the designated product page. You could also click here to go to the webshop directly. If you have any questions regarding the kit, don't hessitate to shoot an email at 'contact@sumpthing.net'

Thanks!

fb-ad-sumpthing.jpg

Back