• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Large Oil Leak from gear shift mechanism cover

LastSerio87

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have a '78 CB750 and I can't seem to figure out why once the bike gets hot it pours oil out the left rear case cover which houses the shifting mechanism and oil pump. Originally I thought the gasket was to blame, so I used black rtv oil gasket create-a-seal. That worked for just couple rides, as i was trying to adjust carb issues, then it started to pour out again... I thought maybe the housing was warped. I have a second parts engine (one with a blown cylinder due to a previous owner) so I switch housing and used a new gasket i bought off of cb750.com. It ran for about 10 min and i rode it around a parking lot, then it started leaking again. It leaks at the bottom and through the left side screws. Any suggestion and help would be greatly appreciated.

Is this a sohc motor or dohc motor...the oil pump isn't under a side cover on the sohc motor but it is on the dohc but in 78 they didn't have the dohc motor yet. I need to figure out what you have for a bike before I can help much. Can you send a photo of the area? Have you cleaned the case well and check for any cracks?

I clean and checked last time I had the cover off and didn't come across any cracks or visual distortions. I'll take some photo's and post them as soon as i can.. thanks

If it is a SOHC is there any chance that one of the wiring bundles from the alternator is getting pinched when you put the cover on? On mine they run in a non-oil channel above the gasket.

Last edited:
Curious what oil your runing in that i had someone run 5/40 syn and dripped out of every place possible it went away when he ran 10/40.

Sal

Back