• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

WHAT is with this oil bolt!?

jimminy

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm about ready to lose it on this f-ing oil filter. Who came up with this design, Satan?

I remember the hardest part of the engine removal was getting the oil filter bolt out. I thought it was put in there by a neanderthal and was just jammed. I barely got the thing off, practically shredding the bolt head, and now after trying to put it on again with a new bolt, it shredded again and I don't think I'll ever get it off of there. :banghead:

The metal on that thing seems way too soft, the wrench strips it, and the vice grip just shreds it worse. It's a nub at this point. I thought I would be filling the oil and finally trying to turn this bike over tonight, but now I have a new problem, and best case will be waiting for parts.

Maybe I missed something. Tightening seemed stiff, and the filter case was just starting to snug up to the engine when it got pretty hard to tighten more. When I tried to back it out, it just wouldn't budge, like it was fused on there.

Well, if anyone has a way to get that thing off, I'd love to hear it. I guess I'm looking at welding some steel on there to get some leverage. Maybe grid it off?

Also, is there a better solution to this obviously flawed rig? I don't see why this won't just happen again the next time.

CycleX.com has screw on filter replacement for this mess, once you get it off. Also has two ports to run an oil cooler if you want. However, you still have to be able to bolt on the base using the crankcase bolt hole. If those threads are buggered you may have to resort to a heli-coil or something. Good luck.

What I did was get a big nut that fit over the remains of the bolt head and used JB Weld to fuse them together. That way I was able to back the bolt out and get the filter housing off. It actually might serve to just reuse it as is. It gives me a lot more leverage to have that wide, much stronger head to put the wrench on. It turns pretty easily.

I noticed a few metal filings on the end of the bolt, which gave me a puzzlement. I didn't realize it until I shined a flashlight in there but there's a back to the oil port where that bolt threads in. I can't tell by looking, but is it possible the bolt is slightly too long and is just hitting the back wall on the block? I shredded the first bolt removing the filter when I removed the engine, and got the one I have now from a shop. I didn't save the old one to compare. I dunno, it would explain it not going all the way in and the metal filings with my trying to muscle it through that wall, but seems unlikely the bolt would be too long.

Anyways, no way I'm spending what CycleX wants for their adapter, is there another solution? Maybe I ought to just grind off some of the length of the bolt and see what happens. I guess I'll wait to hear from the CB750 community on this one.

Thanks

If I remember correctly my oil filter bolt is hollow with a number of holes in it near the bolt head. Is that what you have? Seems odd that a bolt that specific would be too long unless from another model that had a different length.

I know, it doesn't make sense unless there's something going on inside. And I think there must be. I took off the filter and bolt and I think the filings are actually the threads going south. Very bad news, but I worked the bolt slowly back and forth every time I got resistance and it loosened up and seems to still hold solid.

I think there must be something messed up inside because when I get close to the end the bolt maybe isn't going in further and just starts stripping the threads as I apply more pressure.

So, I'm going to try grinding maybe 1/8" off the end of the bolt and see if that's enough to snug the filter housing to the block. If that doesn't work I'll get that chrome screw on filter and see if that works. I did a whole top end job before this and wanted to be able to change the oil and filter several times during the break in, but not at $25 a pop. Maybe there's another screw on?

Back