• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Uneven Idle?

DanBarregarye

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Im currently in the process of troubleshooting my bike and am in need of some expert advice.

So here is my situation, got caught in the rain the other day and the bike died on me. I let everything dry out and the next day it fired up, only this time the idle was incredibly uneven and hesitant. There is also a small amount of consistent grey smoke coming out of the exhaust

Here is what Ive done already...
Checked all my continuity (i.e. ignition, rotor, reg/rec ect) everything is working fine
battery is holding a charge
running pod filters, took pods off/clean and dried them
pulled the plugs 1 looks a grey/ little bit of white...2 looks white...3 looks tan...4 looks black with a little white
pulled the carbs and cleaned them

Thanks for the help!
Dan

If it was heavy enough to kill it you may have ingested water into the engine. Do all four pipes get warm? I would pull the points cover to make sure you didn't get any water in there. Also pull the plug wires at the coil to make sure the boot is dry and weatherproof. You could also swap plugs 2 and 3 to see if the problem follows the plug. I would check your crankcase oil as well to see if it is brownish and/or frothy.

Motogtp has sound advice, I know I have different carbs being a 72 but I was running pods and they really affected the engine bad in rain and heavy sidedraft winds, Ended up putting the original airbox back on no more trouble since.

Hey moto,

all 4 pipes get warm, i checked the plug wires and everything checked out. I put four new plugs in to see if the problem repeated and this time all the plugs except 3 were white, which i assume is a lean condition. Havent checked the crankcase yet, as a formality i checked the boots and there is no leak there. Ive pulled the carbs to clean. I suspect that dirty water may have worked its way through the pods into the carbs and partially clogged a pilot. Ill let you know how it goes

hey dan,

The pods are a bit a nusence, i just always hated trying to put the stock airbox back on after pulling the carbs, especially while tuning. :D My immediate assumtion was that the water clogged the pods causing reduced air flow and riching up the mix, but ive still got the smoke after cleaning the pods, as well as what appears to be a lean running engine.

I would also try blowing the carbs out with some low pressure compressed air. Lots of little pockets that water could get into. Good that you checked the boots but I am curious how the oil looks.

Back