• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

750C Revive

FTS902

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Recently I purchased a 1980 CB750c in northern Michigan. I wanted something I could work on and get involved with. I just left my girlfriend so I needed something new to throw money and time at.

I got it for a fair price given its condition. The first thing that screamed out at me was that this thing was laid down at speed. It definitely rolled. Starting with a missing air box, we see that the PO tried some odd thing with screens. Don't know what that's about. Work our way to the gauges and we see that the speedometer's face plate is broken. Ill need to open that up, see if I cant glue it back together. Or get a new one. HMU if you have one. Then we can see the mirror is held in place by JB weld. tsk tsk. Some fuses hanging out of the fuse box, take a closer look... They are twisted and taped. Really? :eek:
Moving on. Chips on the block, small fracture in the case near the foot rest, noticed the exhaust was heated and reshaped after the incident. Also, Harley bafflers were welded on the exhaust... :doh:
The front brake sensor was missing a electrical lead.
Overall I didn't see anything that would hold me back from having a good summer riding my first *registered* motorcycle. :D

IMG_20140403_165849.jpgIMG_20140403_170022.jpgIMG_20140403_165959.jpgIMG_20140403_170003.jpgIMG_20140403_170009.jpg

On my way home I stopped at a power-sports store and got some pods.
They look good IMO. But The headache might not be worth it. (better than screen...)
First thing I did when I got home was tear down and clean everything.

IMG_20140405_230814.jpg

One thing that I hadn't noticed before was the choke cable was missing. Once I got it clean I started making a checklist of things I need to get done.

1. Tune up
  2. Brake sensor
  3. Choke Cable
  4. Speedo
  5. Fuses

So I ordered the parts and got to work with the plugs, soaked the tips in solvent and gaped em proper. Then moved to the carbs, started cleaning. Not too dirty but not what I wanted to see. I got the insides nice and clean and then put it all back together, got them back on the bike and it wouldn't start. :confused:

After joining this site, and doing a lot of reading everywhere, I found my problem. It was the spawn of Satan. Still causing problems after it had been removed. I checked a vacuum line that use to run to it, the screw that was used to cap it fell out. Drove a new screw into it, and the bike started right up. Choke cable and brake sensor should arrive in the mail tomorrow. In the mean time I thought I might as well make it my own and add my personal touch. OD GREEN :cool: I like the way it turned out. I spilled a bit of gas on the tank after and the paint peeled. Oh well, function over form.

IMG_20140409_193509.jpgIMG_20140409_193526.jpgIMG_20140409_193533.jpgIMG_20140409_193600.jpg

I went to the secretary of state today, took the test, and got my TIP! Next step is the skills test. Does anyone have any advice on good insurers? I got a decent quote from progressive.

I went to the secretary of state today, took the test, and got my TIP! Next step is the skills test. Does anyone have any advice on good insurers? I got a decent quote from progressive.

Check Geico. Fast quote and for me significantly cheaper. Get the medical coverage, well worth the extra $s per year.

Ok so the past few weeks have been hectic. For one, I moved. And I found a new issue with the bike. After ordering new parts for the brake lights turn signals and choke, to my dismay, the choke cable is a tad to long. Oh well. It was only $10. The engine is running rough and just today while idling it started to spit smoke out of the left (if on bike) exhaust pipe. It smelled like burning oil. Any ideas on what it may be? I'm thinking valve or ring. I'll do a compression test and then start a tear down. I'm bummed, but life goes on. Also, I'm in search of a new battery. Whats the general opinion here on replacement batteries?

Back