• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Can I build a bobber from a nighthawk frame?

Spikito

CB750 New member
Reaction score
So I've been around motorcycles most of my life, but I've never owned one. Now I'm getting a little more serious about actually doing it.

I should note, I dont want to just buy a bike, hop on it, and go, I want a hobby, a toy. Ive always liked the CB750, and have been wanting to do a cafe bike, but recently the bobber style has appealed to me more. My neighbor builds Harley choppers, and has agreed to help me out with any fab work and seems pretty excited to help me out. He has a tig welder, motorcycle parts, tools from floor to ceiling, etc. I've talked about it a lot with him and weve talked about building a bike, no fenders, no blinkers or mirrors, minimal wires, hard lines instead of rubber, chain and sprocket driven, no paint, just clear coated steel, very stripped down mechanical bike.

Ive been looking for awhile for a complete bike, running or not. I can't seem to jump on deals fast enough, IF they are in budget, around here people are wanting 3k-4k for running bikes, and i basically just want a complete bike because its getting totally ripped apart anyway. But at the same time, I don't want a parts bike that I cant get a title for.

So what I've thought about, is buying a frame, and a parts bike, and just swapping over what I need.

In my hunting, I've decided I like the Nighthawk 750 frame better than the CB frame, mostly because of the single backbone. I've found some for sale for less than $200.

My question is, can I build a CB750 bobber/chopper on a nighthawk frame? can I still have chain and sprocket etc. I know most, if not all of the nighthawks were shaft driven, watercooled, etc. and I don't want any of that.

Thanks, Dustin

Welcome to the board Dustin!

Anything is doable. Question is: do you have the knowledge, equipment, time and money to do it?

I don't know how hard it will be to get it titled with what you have in mind, using a Nighthawk frame and putting CB750 guts in it. Sounds as as much trouble as to get a custom made frame titled. Only with more headaches to try and get everything to fit and line up.. Why not add an $600 to your budget and get one of these frames: http://www.cycleonemanufacturing.com/id234.html They're all ready for the CB750 SOHC motor and wheels and stuff. Or any other custom manufactured frame for the CB750. Ebay might be worth a shot?
Seems like a lot less hassle if you ask me, then trying to get a Nighthawk frame to accept a CB750.

But then again, I could be wrong. I never worked on a Nighthawk.

Last edited:
That may not be a bad idea, at this point I'm only allowing myself $800 to spend, and then the project will stop until I get more expendable cash....I'd hate to just have a frame sitting in the garage, lol.

But I did look at some Ebay custom frames A few didn't seem too bad, I'm just still kind of stuck on the idea of doing all the work on it myself.

$800 is a tight budget.. My suggestion would be to save up for a running bike and then get a custom frame that fits the parts of the runner. But thats just me. I did it the other way around and that I'll never do again..

Anyways, good luck and post lots of pictures!

I just found a running kawasaki csr1000 for $600....its not pretty but I'm stripping it all down anyway

Back