• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fuel filter

DanBarregarye

CB750 Member
Reaction score
does anyone know where I can find an in-tank fuel filter to buy online, for a 1980cb750f? I cant seem to find them anywhere, I punctured the screen trying to remove it from the tank (it was stuck in with varnish.

thanks

Obsolete part. The petcock assembly has been superseded twice and that last one is also obsolete. I did find one on Ebay for $135

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-900-C...900-CB-750-CB750F-16950-438-305-/321883559482

Also found a universal one that you also buy a nut for that fits your bike but the nipple is facing the wrong way.

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/cb750/?filters[category]=carb&filters[year]=1980

Me, I'd remove the in tank screen and install mini inline filters.

Capture.JPG

That's the small (OD) one that the early ones often use. Later ones got bigger petcocks like twice, the small one would not pass enough fuel for the bigger motors. You might look around for same part but for like a 550 or so, almost all earlier Honda used that same small diameter part until the DOHCs came along to get bigger later. I use the 550 or 350 petcock gasket for rebuilds in my '80 750. Thinking that tall filter tube is the same OD there.

Or do like I did once and lose that tube filter to put one lower between petcock and carbs, of course trash can then be in petcock. And depending on how the lower filter is installed and how well tank vent working, when you run out of fuel capillary action can keep the entire line from priming if you run completely out. Why I don't say add another filter lower to make a total of two. The small passages there make prime and feed trouble when you do. I've even been stranded by the 550 when the regular tank ran dry and I switched too slow to reserve, it took like 5 minutes sitting before the reserve fed enough fuel to run well enough to stay started. Dropping the second filter stopped that. Why Honda went to bigger petcocks later on. They prime instantly. The smaller line the fuel gets stuck at the filter matrix, not enough atmospheric pressure to force it past that. You can pull line and blow into it, that forces it through and then you may be going again.

The problem has nothing to do with trash in lines, it can show up with dead clean parts, they are simply too small. The sintered brass filter like picced there probably won't work as you need one that passes enough fuel for all 4 carbs as there is only one fuel line. I had trouble with them.

Last edited:
The OEM petcock itself may still be able to be rebuilt by drilling rivets and replacing with threaded holes and screws, I did both my 550 and '80 750F using Honda gasket part # 16955-268-020 for the small petcock, again same part almost down to Honda 90 there and used for many years. They used to show them in the parts blowups but now like other corporations ganging up all parts together to make you buy several to get the one you need. I'd plug that 4 hole gasket number in and see if you still can get it if wanting to rebuild. You can use a simple o-ring from hardware plumbing for the upper tank to petcock seal. The Honda part was about $5 or so.

Last edited:
Back