• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Favorite Oil?

jacksondee

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats everyone's favorite? Its almost riding season here in Chicago. After looking into more than I did last year (my first year with the bike), it seems not everyone thinks that GN4 is the only thing you should put in your bike. I didn't know any better last year and spent all that money on it. What's everyone's favorite?

-sorry if I missed this thread in the searchb

For 750's I run Castrol GTX 10-40 in stock motors and 20-50 in big bore motors. I have never had a clutch issue in the 750's with the Castrol. Now in all my other bikes I use nothing but Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil. I had an issue with the starter clutch not catching with the Amsoil, switched back to Castrol and problems went away. I have seen no wear issues with this oil either after being into the motor at various times doing upgrades and other parts swapping. I have seen wear tests done among various motorcycle oils and GN4 was on the lower end of acceptable for wear range. I personally ran GN4 in my CBR954 when I got it new, seemed to get dark fairly fast. On the third oil change I switched to Amsoil and immediately found that the transmission shifted smoother and the oil stayed cleaner longer. I no longer use GN4 in anything but this was my personal experience.

Very cool, thanks.

Another forum had a bunch of praise for Shell Rotella.. Either way, just about everything is cheaper than GN4, and no one seems to give it praise on any other forum..

It seems Honda didn't give as much care to their oil as they do to there bikes, which is a shame. Amsoil is fairly expensive but from what I have seen and felt how it performs I think it may be the best oil on the market.

i have always liked castrol 20-50. i am running a semi tired hi mileage stock motor and it is a good oil for the hot n humid south. last year someone gave me several gallon jugs of older unopened rotella 15-40 so i have used that a few times. never had any issues with either one.

Last edited:
i have always liked castrol 20-50. i am running a semi tired hi mileage stock motor and it is a good oil for the hot n humid south. last year someone gave me several gallon jugs of older unopened rotella 15-40 so i have used that a few times. never had any issues with either one.

Total noob question, what do the numbers refer too? Thickness, density, viscosity? Or do all three of those words mean exactly the same thing? Its been 16 years since high school auto class..

My CB750 manual says to use 10W-40 for regular riding, or SAE30 for riding above 60 degree F. Normally I do ride above 60 degree F as the summer sneaks up quick around here and is hot. Only the last month or so in the fall is it consistently below 60 degrees..

the oil debates have been ongoing a long time in different forums and everyone has different thoughts about it. there is a lot of info if you google or go to e how or something. a simple explanation is that a single viscosity such as 30w thins out as it get hotter through engine operation,,the multi's start out thin and get thicker as they heat up. on a cold engine the multi is going to circulate better and faster then thicken as gets warmer so less wear on the engine in the long run.,a solid is going to circulate slower then thin as it finally gets warm.

You have to really watch the single weight oils now days. Many of them are not made with the best stock and additives that the multis are...they simply are not used that often. I know Honda says you can run single weight oils but I wouldn't. These motors are not ball bearing harley motors that arent as picky, these are plane bearing motors and they need a good oil that flows and protects well at all temps. 10-40 is the lowest I would go and is probably the best all around oil weight for a stock motor. If you run in a constant hot temp or under high rpm for extended periods I would jump to a 20-50 or maybe a 15-40. Never have used rotella in a bike but its all my Powerstroke gets and it is a good oil.

I think the oil companies are trying to pull a fast one on us...have you ever drained hot oil compared to cold oil? Seems like cold oil is thicker then hot oil:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think the oil companies are trying to pull a fast one on us...have you ever drained hot oil compared to cold oil? Seems like cold oil is thicker then hot oil:laugh::laugh::laugh:

why think? we all know big oil is pulling fast ones in many different ways.
when it is all said and done though lubrication is the key.

i recall about twenty years ago in texas i had a june bug fly into my ear on the interstate. i managed to get over to the shoulder allright but the wings fluttering inside my ear was intense to say it mildly. i had a quart of penzoil 70w aircraft oil in my saddlebags so i poured a capful and then poured it into my ear to settle it down and get out of there. later at the emergency room after the bug was out the doc wanted to know what the hell kinda oil was in my ear,he had never seen anything so thick. we had a good laugh about it and he agreed it was the best i could do in the circumstances but he would recommend cooking oil instead. i think the inside of my ear felt slimy for a couple months afterwards. :laugh: oddly enough now that i think about it,i have worn helmets since then.

Back