• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Residue on Carbs?

DanBarregarye

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So carb 1 started overflowing the other day. I took off the bowl, float, seat and valve and cleaned it out. Looks like it was a bit of dirt and alot of gas turned varnish. Well now Im finding a residue of gas on the bottom of the same carb. Its not even a drop just a fine film. Is this from possible damage to a ring while I had it apart or another underlying problem?

I have the same issue, there is a thin film of gas that sits on the bottom of my numbers 1 and 2 carb, all four carbs were supposedly "rebuilt" by the PO, and what type of carbs do you have?

its a 1980 750f supersport with the stock keihin carbs, i do know, however, that the previous owner had a new set put on by "some guy" ran well until this year, more than likley my fault for letting it sit.

hey ray,

so I took off the bowl and the float bowl gasket was pretty worn. Im fairly certain thats where the residue is coming from, just sort of seeping out of the side. If your carbs have been rebuilt i would be highly suspect of any gaskets due to a variation in thickness as well as damage during the reassembly process. luckily its a simple fix.

Thanks Dan
I'll look into buying a carb rebuild kit, but what really freakes me out is that the residue left on my carbs varnishes pretty quilckly

I think that being exposed to the elements as well as the heat on the engine accelerates the varnish process. The same thing happens if you put a little bit of gas in a jar and leave it outside overnight, it usually will start to turn yellow by morning.

So i took off the carbs, then took off the bowls and noticed that not only were the gaskets bad, but the PO put an rtv sealant that hardened up and plugged some ports. :/ I think im going to order a carb rebuild kit soon, and maybe paint some of the carb components red and black. By any chance do you know a good paint that is resistant to gas that you bake on?

Back