• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

back to stock bars

Dinosaurocker

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I picked this bike up about 2 weeks ago. Want to take it back as close to stock as feasible without spending a fortune. First major job was to remove fairing, crash bars, and the cat carrier on the luggage rack. Also removed the car horns, and found another old seat locally until I can have this one recovered. Also ordered stock bars and grips.

CB750four.jpg

Luckily everything there to re-attach signals in original place, just had to redo some wiring. Also had to order a headlight ring kit and an original horn.

fairing removed.jpg

So the bars turned out to be way more work than I thought. I own another old Honda I've wrenched on a bit, but I'm by no means a mechanic. Didn't realize I would have to strip the bike to get this done - including the fuel tank to remove throttle cables. That okay, gave me a chance to polish underneath and remove a bit of unneeded wire. Also didn't realize wires were originally strung through bars, and so I'd have to pull the headlight and disconnect everything. The stock wire color pattern and bullet connectors made this pretty easy - just a little scary for a newb.

stripped down.jpg

engine.jpg

The bars I found were not pre-drilled although they were listed as from a K5 ? So I did some searching and found good images, then did my best to replicate what should be there. This took the most time - calculating the size of holes from photos, and then testing and re-testing places where control pins would fit. A 3/8 inch dril bit did most of the work, and finished off wire holes with a dremel to make sure they were smooth.

cut holes.jpg

cut bars.jpg

With some searching online, I got great tips about pulling the wires as painlessly as possible. Not too terrible through stock bars. Lots of electrical tape on the end of each bundles, and a thin wire to pull them through . . . just a bit of dishsoap kept things moving.

trying stock bars.jpg

When I started rebuilding, I was relieved that everything worked out fine. Was glad the pin holes for control boxes matched up well right next to new grips. Disappointed though to realize after all my work that the previous build has just cut a bit out of the sides of control boxes to string wires underneath bars. Nobody will ever notice . . . except me.

And it's ready . . .

ready 1.jpg

Happy to report that the test spin went great. The stock bars feel way better to me - sporty. I'm used to those on my CB350. Sure fun to feel the power of the 750 beneath me . . . and I think this is a great looking machine.

riding 2.jpgriding 3.jpg

Super chees'ed by this bike.

Last edited:
I run a piece of mechanics wire throught the bar holes then tape the wiring to it then pull it all through.

I run a piece of mechanics wire throught the bar holes then tape the wiring to it then pull it all through.

Yeah that's what I did. Was concerned I would screw up the wiring while pulling it through, or that it would be more difficult. Although it certainly wasn't what I would call fun . . . it wasn't a horrible exercise.
And glad that all the control box angles/grips line up well. I might drill the pin holes for control boxes a little more oval-shaped to allow a bit of adjustment.

The stock horn (invoice says from a K6) sounds like a sick duck LOL - the tone keeps changing the more I use it. Guess it needs a little throat clearing. Think I read there is a screw to adjust this?

just my opinion but even with adjustment i dont think a stock style horn can ever be loud enough to attract the attention of stupid cagers with loud stereos and the perps on cell phones talking/txting and lost in their bubble. i would look to the aftermarket for something very loud or work a old car horn in somewhere.

just my opinion but even with adjustment i dont think a stock style horn can ever be loud enough to attract the attention of stupid cagers with loud stereos and the perps on cell phones talking/txting and lost in their bubble. i would look to the aftermarket for something very loud or work a old car horn in somewhere.

I agree w/you LostTraveler. I'm not that much a purist that I need to have every bolt and washer exact. I just ordered a pre-fab seat wrap with the silver Honda label on back for like $40 bucks.

This thing came with dual horns mounted on the front and they are SUPER LOUD. Like having your head under an old Chevy hood when some wise guy buddy honks the horn. There was an added relay switch included under the wiring side cover. I've thought about putting those horns back on - but at least wanted to see the bike with everything stock.

But, then I say to myself, will I ever be in a situation where a loud horn can save me. I'm a defensive rider, as most of my miles are back and forth to work in a small town. I clench at all those intersections where there are no yield signs, and those stop signs that every driver rolls through if possible (I'm guilty too in the car). On my CB 350 I've had to completely lock up to avoid a head-on 3 times I can recall in the last ten years - most times between 30 - 40 mph. Quite a feat with 1971 drum brakes.

Would a loud horn help me in these situations. Especially as you say, if the Banger running through the intersection has gangstuh rap rattling the back fender of his Honda Civic with roller skate wheels and a giant spoiler like the wing of a small plane.

Back