• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Starter not working - ideas?

Stabler

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
So. I've finally got so far that I'm trying to fire my scoot up.

I've got a brand new fully charged battery (slowly charged it myself for 48 hours).
I've (tried to) wire it myself using a simplified wiring diagram. I think (or hope) I've got it right.
I've got my lights and horn working (easy enough).
I've got a spark - don't know if it's strong enough, maybe my bright shop threw me off when looking at the plug and kicking it.
I did get it to bang a couple of times, not continuous though. Got tired of kicking..

Now to my question: What could cause the starter not to run? I'm thinking, starter (of course), starter button, solenoid and worst of all - my wiring.
What is easy to rule out by simple checking/testing so that I can focus on the more time-consuming troubleshooting?

Any help or pointers here would be highly appreciated!

Thanks.

You could use a test wire from the positive battery terminal straight to the starter. Would tell you if the starter and solenoid are working. And should start the bike if the key is on and you have spark and fuel. Just touch it to the starter and the battery at the same time and remove when it starts. Should be the same gauge wire as the one from the solenoid to the starter. Just make sure she's in neutral cause you're bypassing any safety you have on the bike. Not sure if you left any on since you wired it yourself.

If you jump from battery to starter side of solenoid you will know if your wire to starter is good then back track from there to switch and starter button

Back