• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rusty spokes, help.

Daren

Daren
Reaction score
Would everyone be willing to post their method for keeping the spokes and rims rust free?
I did a site search and came up empty, maybe I didn't search right.
I live by the ocean and my spokes rust just by breathing on them.
After I polish them I put some wax on but that only helps for a little while,
then before long I'm out there cleaning every spoke by hand and it's a bitch with
the wheels on the frame reaching the spokes behind the rotors.
Any time saving methods and ointments to solve the problem?
thanks,
Daren

During riding season I have to ride on dirt roads miles before I get to pavement, So I got the same problem except for the seasalt. Cleaning the wheels every other day. Pain in the arse:mad: I use Honda roadside detailer spray it last for awhile. I installed stainless steel spokes so no problem with them, Sorry I could not help You more.

Sorry I just seen Your other post with the pic,s of the spokes, The zinc coating is gone on those so there is no easy fix. Except to relace or lacquer coat them somehow.

polishing spokes is a curse,,that is partly why mags became popular. the rear wheel is always going to be a bit dirty though because of the chain,,belt drives or shaft changed a lot there. only thing i could sugest other than comstars or new spokes and lacing wheels now,,is to sand them some and paint them. spring is here,i would not stay parked for that it is time to roll. maybe you can find a couple wheels this season and respoke them with stainless and then do a swapout later.

btw,,damned decent f ya have there. i have a stock 75 f and a k left in the garge to get around to doing something with someday,both have been sitting since 1981.

Last edited:
Sorry I just seen Your other post with the pic,s of the spokes, The zinc coating is gone on those so there is no easy fix. Except to relace or lacquer coat them somehow.
Thanks, you know they looked like stainless steel after cleaning up, but if I did rub off the Zinc plating then of course they are bare and vulnerable,
I will have to look into it, any good way to tell? They polish and shine like stainless and the rusting is thin and powdery.

polishing spokes is a curse,,that is partly why mags became popular. the rear wheel is always going to be a bit dirty though because of the chain,,belt drives or shaft changed a lot there. only thing i could sugest other than comstars or new spokes and lacing wheels now,,is to sand them some and paint them. spring is here,i would not stay parked for that it is time to roll. maybe you can find a couple wheels this season and respoke them with stainless and then do a swapout later.

btw,,damned decent f ya have there. i have a stock 75 f and a k left in the garge to get around to doing something with someday,both have been sitting since 1981.
Much appreciated for your response. I may indeed have to re-lace my wheels. I like the vintage look of spokes so if mine are not stainless I will have to get some soon.
The "F" series was supposed to be the better handling with 10 more horsepower than the other models, but the reason I bought mine was because it was the only one available locally which wasn't already cafe'd. I wanted my own project. Hope you get around to your other projects soon.

Thanks, you know they looked like stainless steel after cleaning up, but if I did rub off the Zinc plating then of course they are bare and vulnerable,
I will have to look into it, any good way to tell? They polish and shine like stainless and the rusting is thin and powdery.

There are different grades of s.s. an easy check is with a magnet, It will not stick to a high chromium steel, A faint pull of the magnet shows a lower grade. It is a very nice bike You have there.

Not able to rebuild my wheels my only choice was to clean off years of rust with aggressive techniques which wore the zinc plating off as well. I ended up having to clean my spokes every week. I was searching for a product or method to reduce my weekly polishing, and just in case it helps others I would like to share my results.
The best protection I have found so far is the Blue Magic metal polishing cream.
Once the spokes are cleaned up just polish them with this stuff. It does slow down the rust enough so the next cleaning only needs to be done with the polish, not with fine grade steel wool. I only polish them once a month now before it gets too bad. But I do live by the coast and in dry weather this procedure could last longer.
hope it helps,
daren

Have to try that I laced a cheesy 16" rr. rim 5yr,s ago and it started to rust on the flat part a few years back always 000 wooling it. have not had problems with the D.I.D wheel I laced on the frt. Thanks

Back