• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Newbie/Introduction - So many questions!

Buckwild

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi everyone....really excited to be a part of the forums, and apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge. That's why I am here - right?

Long story short, I have always been intersted in the look, and process of motorcycles. Then I tried to ride one. Even in the little parking lot that I went circles around, I knew it was something that I wanted to take up. The next day, I bought a CB750C - 1982 for $700 with 34,000 kms on it.

It was definitely a work in progress - but it ran, and I was intersted in customizing it into something I could be proud of. A cafe? a bobber? a custom?

I am the first to admit that I am probably making some mistakes, and probably should have went at it a different way - but I dove in, and have tried to figure out everything on my own, as I went along. I initially took some easy things off to clean, and degrease, and repaint....and one thing led to another, and pretty much the motor is the only thing left in my frame!

I have so many questions - that I don't know where to start. I am hoping I can get some tips, and tricks, and be as involved as possible on the forums. Then, once my bike is finished - I can hopefully help others too!

Here is my current issues:

1) I took off the airbox - as I like the look of individual pods. I know, I know - it won't run as nice, but I thought I would try it to see. After that, I took off the carbs, as I thought they would need to be cleaned. I got quoted over half what I paid for the bike to get them cleaned (and the guy didn't seem to eager to help out) so I am thinking I might try to clean them myself. The issue? I can't figure out what hoses I don't need anymore - and how to put the carbs back on when I am done. There is a bunch of hoses going from the old air box, into the engine, and under the battery box, etc - that I can't see what they are needed for, without a box now.

2) I wanted to do the simple task of changing my handlebars. After I went out and bought some metric tools, I figured it would be easy. For the life of me though - my grips won't come off! They seem to be a plastic sheath that is maybe glued on the bar itself. Do I need to break that off to get the controls off - and then buy new grips? Also - one of the housings on my left controls is cracked to S#!T - and I can't figure out where to get replacement housing for that.

3) I bought a sporto limp dick style taillight, when I originally wanted to create a bobber - but leaning more toward a cafe style. I love the look of slim, flat, custom seats (they are expensive), and planned on just moving the half fender I have originally backwards to the sporto light points straight out. I don't really know what to do after I cut off the back part of the frame, to make it look clean enough. I see some pictures of guys who made the frame bend around and into itself again - but not sure how to get that done.

I have an handfull of more issues.....but......well, I am overwhelmed just typing the above!

Sorry in advance, but any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is in the Bowmanville area and wants to hang out in my garage for all you can drink beer and food in exchange for some "Do this, don't do that" - You name it!

For next time and when doing things for the first time take pictures it helps a lot. Carbs arnt that hard , again take pics for reference. Most of the hoses are vent lines and vacum lines a good service manual will tell which is which. Pods can be used with proper jetting get good pods though not cheap ones it makes a difference. Hand grips get hard with age , cut them off buy new ones. Get us some pics so we. An see your progress. Building is half the fun!đź‘Ť

Just got out of the sportbike phase of my life, onto something fun. Just bought a 78' cb750, ran before I tore it apart an hour ago, 23k miles. My goal is a cafe conversion. Here's my first pic IMG_2324.jpgafter day one.

Welcome aboard sir, I am new as well and with the amount of true gearheads and mechaics in here I dont believe there is a dumb question and many amongst us will bare testimony..lol... I have a paralleled background and one day decided to get elbow deep in the bike and learn it.. Pictures are essential so we can see what you see and it will certainly streamline response time Good Luck..S'lainte.

Thanks, note taken. Thought I was done for the day, but having it in my dining room was probably a "bad" idea. Started investigating the motor. Removed the carbs.

Back