• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1978 cb750k build

Kannen91

CB750 Member
Reaction score
hello this is my build thread for my 1978 cb750k.

Sorry i have no pictures of the bike when it was pulled from the hut it had been sitting in for 30 years. imagine rust over all the chrome, seat ripped into shreads from all manner of critters.paint... well still the same.. for now :p and not running at all. Silent for so long.
Here is what i have done so far,

-Polished and straightened front and rear rims.
-Polished fenders and engine cases
-Polished frame and re pained chain guard.
-installed aftermarket pipes, factory ones had rotted out :( *dislike*
-installed new tires, battery, lights and re wired bike from alternator up.
-new brakes front and rear.
-new fork seals
-re gasket-ed engine, new oil and all new o rings (because of the time it sat)
-new side covers
-new seat cover (also done by me, oem NOS cover)
-new bar end mirrors
-new cafe style handle bars, you know, to make it faster.... and stuff..

so what is left you may ask? well here is the list... haha!

-fuel tank leaks, needs to be cleaned, repaired and sealed. then painted a deep metallic burgundy with gold pin stripes.
-paint side covers deep metallic burgundy
-(all paint is done by me, currently working on a bigger compressor to paint my other restoration project....-1985 toyota 4x4)
-downgrade to a smaller wattage headlamp. unsure what the factory spec is? any ideas?
-find all the cb750four emblems, un sure were to get these?

brought it home 2.jpg

brought it home 3.jpg

brought it home1.jpg

any who, this is my build as of today. thanks for looking! if you have any insight on to were i can get parts, hard to find bits or anything like that just post it below!

i will update this thread with posts, info and how to's for paint, fuel tank repairs, and anything else!

(i have been working on motorcycles since i was very small. It is like second nature to me, however this cb750 is a different beast so any help is more than welcome!)

thanks!

Ryan :D

I have seen those emblems at several different websites, also a lot of NOS parts…. just do a search for what you are looking for and then filter through the sites until you find what you want… also our local Honda dealer still sells a lot of parts for these old rides so you might try that…. I like what you have done so far, are you planning to stay with the stock look on it ???

Keep searching ebay as well. It took almost 2 months before the Super Sport emblem I wanted (and was in decent shape) came up.

Last edited:
so what does it mean,,serial number not clean and not a canadian bike? you did not get a title or bill of sale with it? did the numbers come back as stolen after sitting for so many years? i dont know the canadian licensing system,is there a process you can go through to title something?

down here in the u.s.,,it would mainly mean just come up with a titled frame. along with that there are other options. there is some differences in every state to get a builders title but all states have in common that that the insurance is way high though and value for taxes is judged by the current year of issue.in some states there are also processes for good faith possession. it is something that has not been tagged for several years, does not come back as stolen and you have been in possession of for x number years that you can get an original year title on. some states also have antique titles that you only buy plates for once. there are other ways too but neither here nor now.

so how do you get a title in canada on something that has been sitting in a shed for years?

Last edited:
well it has to go through an inspection. the bike was not stolen, but rather has been sitting since the early 80's before we switched our registration to computers up here in canada. i can put it back on the road but this inspection is pricy, and get worse if it does not pass. i bought this bike from my dad and he said he had run the vin. but he had not he had run the vin for his 77 cb750f..... oh well.... guess its getting a full restoration before i ride it again :)

Back