• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CDI potting coming out

mitch5069

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys im back with a few electrical questions.

I got my 79 cb750 last fall, put a new battery in it and only got about 150 miles on it before winter came around. I pulled the engine about a week ago and the other day I was looking at the battery box and noticed there was some type of black tar on top of the battery (new as of last fall). The tar was right below the CDIs and one of them looked like it had significantly less potting in it. I work in the circuit card manufacturing industry and anytime we have had to rework potting/underfill/adhesive we loosened it up by adding a lot of heat.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem or would know what would cause it. I'm going to dig around on the internet a bit more and see if I can find a cause. See pictures below.

IMG_0953.jpgIMG_0951.jpgIMG_0950.jpg

They have issues with these going bad...only other thing to do would be to make sure it isn't overcharging and check the connections to make sure they are tight and clean and not causing a high resistance heat issue. But yes these do go bad fairly often but usually they just stop working.

Back