• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Tracking down ignition troubles, possible starter relay problem

swamprat

CB750 New member
Reaction score
So, I just bought this bike knowing it wasn't running. Guy said he was riding in December, but will not start now. The battery is good and I think that I have tracked the problem down to the starter relay. When I hit the starter switch, sometimes the relay will click, and sometimes it will not. I have one on the way, should be here next week sometime. Went ahead and ordered one with the relay and the plug as it had some corrosion on the terminals. Figured better safe than sorry. The start button seems to be working just fine. Is there anything else you guys think that I should look for?

Also, the key hangs up in the ignition making it hard to turn to the on position. Have to sit there and wiggle it several times. It's an original key and is not bent or otherwise damaged. I tried a bit of graphite and that did not really help at all. I was looking on ebay and saw some ignition rebuild kits, just the little white plastic bit that fits in the bottom of the switch. Most of them I am seeing are for 70-80's model bikes. Would this work for my bike, or will it even help that issue. Do I just need to break down and order a new ignition switch?

I have a similar problem with my ignition switch. Found out that there was a "good" side of the key that almost always turned without jiggling and the "bad" side that always had to be jiggled. I put a notch in the key so I always inserted it with the good side "up".

Back