• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

My dads green 1973 CB750 may be for sale spring 2014

maximus12105

CB750 New member
Reaction score
My dad recently retired and purchased a beautiful red 2013 Goldwing. This was one of his retirement goals and I'm glad that he has been able to make this happen. As a result, his Green 1973 CB750 is sitting in my basement and he has asked if I could sell it for him this spring.

If you want to know a bit of what I can remember about the back story on this bike, you can read this paragraph. If not, feel free to skip ahead to the next paragraph. :) After getting out of the Navy in 1973, he went to the Honda dealership in southwestern Virginia and purchased the bike off of the showroom floor. He drove it to and from college and work. He got married in 1979 and I showed up soon after. He stopped riding it in the early 90's and he tore the bike down to the frame and gave it a full cleaning and I remember him saying something about doing something to protect all of the chrome. He put the bike back together and my parents moved into their current house in 1987, and the bike was covered and parked in the garage. In the early 90's he got it out and running enough to know that it wasn't seized up and everything was still operational. Fast forward to May of 2005. We gave him money for his birthday and told him that was ONLY to be used to get the bike back on the road. When he uncovered everything and started looking at it, it dawned on him that he made a mistake when he put it away the last time... he forgot to drain the fuel tank. Since he refused to pay anyone to do it for him (and he wanted to have a project), he stripped out the entire fuel system and thoroughly cleaned it out. He completely rebuilt the carbs and through MANY iterations of cleaning the tank out with (I think) PB Blaster, he finally got enough rust out to where he felt good enough to put it back on the road. It took him a couple of years of emptying out the bulbs after every ride before all of the rust had been cleared out. He did some minor tuning of the carbs and, as he said before he put the bike in my basement this past Oct 2013, the bike is running as strong as ever. On December 21st, he rode over to my house on his Goldwing and got the bike out and drove it around for about 30 minutes. When he came back and got off the bike, he looked at me with a reminiscent smile and he sighed and said "it's running great!"

He changed out the handle bars to give them more of an "ape hanger" look and there is some very mild pitting in the chrome. He added side bars that he uses as higher foot rests but I also believe they could protect the side covers. He added a sissy bar behind the back seat. At some point later he changed out the exhaust system from the stock 4-into-4 to a 4-into-2 with left and right side exhaust pipes. I believe the rest of the bike is bone stock. He still has the original owners manual, shop manual and tool kit. He thinks he still has the original title and purchase order/receipt too but, as he said, "its been a while since I've looked for any of that so it may have been thrown out decades ago."

I'm planning on putting it up for sale this spring. I'd like to know, from the people who know them the best, how much to ask for. I realize that everyone wants a good deal and I get that. My dad's only requirement is that he gets as much for it as he originally paid for it. I told him that I definitely think that is possible but, in reality, I don't really know! As would be with all of us, I want to get as much for it as possible because I'm making 10% off of it! :D

Here is a link (http://imgur.com/a/9DQcw) to the pictures I have of the bike that were taken on December 21, 2013. It hasn't had a thorough cleaning since last spring and I plan on doing that before I take more pictures prior to selling it.

If you go by Kelly blue book it has a value of $3600. To the right person you can probably get that. If it had the original exhaust you would be able to get that price easier. The original exhaust was the first thing that people replaced and that is one of the things that everyone is now looking for. That is a very clean looking 73. My dad has one and the same color. Should be an easy sell. To bad you are halfway across the country from me:laugh:

With the original exhaust on that thing, here in Sweden you could probably get double the amount listed in Kelly blue book. But the shipping and import fees kills that deal pretty quick.. Great looking scoot though!

And, yes, I realize that my input here wasn't helpful one bit.

If you go by Kelly blue book it has a value of $3600. To the right person you can probably get that. If it had the original exhaust you would be able to get that price easier. The original exhaust was the first thing that people replaced and that is one of the things that everyone is now looking for. That is a very clean looking 73. My dad has one and the same color. Should be an easy sell. To bad you are halfway across the country from me:laugh:

@dirtdigger, I would like to think I could get that much as well. The original exhaust is probably LONG gone. Even though I'm not entirely opposed to traveling to deliver, 24 hours is a bit much! :wink2:

With the original exhaust on that thing, here in Sweden you could probably get double the amount listed in Kelly blue book. But the shipping and import fees kills that deal pretty quick.. Great looking scoot though!

And, yes, I realize that my input here wasn't helpful one bit.

@Stabler, Thanks for the input! What your comment may have lacked in helpfulness, it made up for with insight in to Swedish demand! I'm sure that's worth something! :thumbsup:

Back