• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Wiring help needed

jimminy

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wiring. God.

I'm a bit lost inside the headlight bucket, and I think it's not that bad but I'm having trouble getting my head around it. I must have lost the photos I took showing how everything was connected so I'm trying to get it back together. It's all, I think, to do with the ignition switch.

Someone modified things slightly and added an on/off switch for unknown reasons that sits on the back of the bucket (green arrow).

To try to describe, they took the red (+) wire from the main harness (I think that's direct from the battery) and instead of going to the ignition (key), it goes into the bucket to this new switch and after that gets spliced into an orange wire which probably went back to the ignition switch.

What's weird is they took the 2 brown and the black that should be connected to the ignition switch and spliced them all together, ran it into the bucket where they then (confusing the issue) spliced on that red wire, which must go back out the ignition switch. I dunno which terminal it connected to there unfortunately. The clip that connected to the back of the switch was never there.

I don't know if I should try to put it back to normal or what. and don't know how to tell if it's hooked up right. maybe someone here knows why they might have done this and how best to deal with it.

The other question is where the 2 wires go with the red arrows. I think they are for the tail light, one is brown and the other is green with a yellow stripe.
Bucket.jpg
It's possible I misplaced a wire or 2, but I don't see anywhere these should go.

Thanks, I'm sure that's hard to follow.

yep, it WAS hard to follow.

But I've progressed since then, slightly. This bike is almost ready to put the oil in, almost ready to paint the tank, almost ready to etc., etc.

I think I have most of the wiring sorted. Of the two wires I was unsure about, the brown doesn't connect to anything according to the schematics and the green/yellow can go suck it. I'll deal with it later.

I still exactly know what's going on with the wiring to the ignition but I think I have it back to the way it was before I disconnected everything. Using a voltometer set to 20 VDC, if I just go to the battery terminals with the leads, ignition switch off, I get a reading of about 5.7. If I switch the ignition to the on position, the same thing reads .78 or so. I don't get any other lights or any kind of life, except sometimes a flicker on the speedos neutral LED. That after market switch is just a kill, when it's switched, it's as though the ignition is turned to off.

Does anyone know a good way to start checking things?

Also, the plugs and wires aren't connected yet, does that make a difference?

ANY help would be really appreciated, I'm pretty stuck.

5.7 volts on the battery might not be enough for lights. Have you tried charging it? The plugs and wires won't make a difference until you get power and are ready to crank it.

charging it didn't seem to change much. With that ignition switch being wired like it is, I'm wondering if I can temporarily bypass it, hotwire it, and see if that shows me anything. Would I just connect the hot lead from the battery to the brown and black wires?

Back