• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

i found oil leaking out the side of the head

cafeken

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
ok so i took the bike for the first long ride today only to find that one hour later oil leaking out the side of the head and low oil pressure so im going to take a stab at it that i need to pull the head and put in a new head gasket and hope all is well any one else run in to this problem

Is this a SOHC 750 motor? The only oil pressure galleries are the two that run with the center back two cylinder studs. 750 head gaskets tend to seep after some time normally at the front. I think you have other issues as far as the low oil pressure. If the head was leaking bad enough to lower oil pressure is would be spraying out the back side of the engine. Have you had the motor apart before? How many miles? Do you have an oil pressure guage on the motor?

No I have never had the motor apart and I'm not sure of the true miles one the bike and yes I have a pressure gauge it was at 5 psi after I took it for the ride I let the bike sit for 20 minutes and then started it and had 20 psi and it was a small leaks out the right side of the head could it be a weak oil pump

Okay, I'll probably not be much help here...but--

There are 4 bolts under the cam towers holding the head to the cylinder along with the cylinder studs, I've heard that they need to be done in a particular way & must sit overnight & then be re-tensioned, otherwise the whole thing looks like a leaky, blown head gasket.

Some of the sothers may know this to be true or false

I'm new into the Honda 4 cylinder

...I've only heard...

I think I remember someone calling them atmospheric bolts/nuts (something like that)

Beings the motor has never been apart that you know of, it could be a number of things causing the leak. The original Honda cylinder studs are weak, they stretch over time causing loss of tension on the head gasket. You could try re torquing the head bolts and see if it fixes the oil seep. It could. There are rubber disks under the cam towers that get hard and leak. The 4 bolts are under the pucks. To really torque the head bolts you need to remove the cam towers so you need to replace the rubber disks and the oil gallery orings under the towers. If you get this far though you are half way to changing the head gasket anyway so you may want to consider doing it anyway. Take it as you will but I have heard of people snugging up the head bolts with an open end wrench and not actually torquing them to fix the oil seep. I would never do it though as I like to do things right and not just half ***ing it. If oil pressure is 20psi at idle that is good. OEM oil light comes on at about 7psi. Honda manual states if engine is operated under high oil temperature and oil light flickers at idle this does not indicate a problem. I think you are OK but you are problably just starting to get some clearances on the higher side of spec, not really much of a problem just getting a little loose causing some loss of oil pressure. What oil weight do you run? Honda did spec a 10-40 for normal and 20-50 for high speed or high load.

10-40 for the oil it went it hot I get 5 psi and that makes me nervous I don't want to smoke the motor and it is just a little leak I'm hoping to find some bad o rings in the oil pump an fix the low oil pressure

ok so im a dumb ass i did have some leaking witch i fixed to day just titan the head bolts and the oil presser is good i just cant read lol so the bike is all good now thanks for the help

Back