• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Brent

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi all, Ive been here a while lurking in the background and figured its about time I posted some shots of what im attempting to ressurect!
As with everyone money is very tight at the moment and im quite time poor also, so this will be a slow moving build for the most part. Im trying to do as much as I can myself, both for financial reasons and also personal satisfaction.
My uncle had this bike given to him in the early 80's, as renumeration for a tenant that didnt pay his rent. It had been crashed, then parked in his shed. He bought a few bits and pieces to fix it up, which never happened. He passed away 13 years ago, at which point my father took the bike. He had all intentions of rebuilding it, and promptly stripped it down to a rolling frame. At this point he decided it was too hard and packed it away into boxes.
After a few years I realised nothing was happening with it, so I grabbed it and here we are.
The frame is a 72 k2, with a 75 engine. It has K3-K5 front forks, with twin discs on the front. Only one caliper came with the bike though.

A few pics

Honda 2.jpgHonda 1.jpg20130218_104957.jpg

Ive been through all the boxes just to mock up a bit and see what is there, and most everything needed to run is there, once Ive been through the engine and replaced bearings its mostly cosmetic work to do.
The bike wouldnt turn over and rather than try to break it free when i was planning to open it anyway i pulled the motor/ This thing is caked in grease, dirt and oil! I had to cut the timing chain, as i was planning to replace it anyway.
Turns out #3 piston was stuck to the bore with surface rust, didnt take much to get it free but the top ring was broken and the other two stuck in the grooves, the other 3 pistons look good, apart from the carbon build up.
Ive pulled piston 3 and left it sitting in atf/acetone at work, hopefully they free up.
I noticed they are stamped HA-64, TOHO, CB810, so it looks to me like a Henry Abe kit?
Ill post up better pics of pistons and bores tomorrow.
heh_zpsiuidfs79.jpgjhf_zpscc2awzxe.jpgkhfd_zpskjjdd3as.jpgkhfs_zpsfvpvobhh.jpg

Yes those are Henry Abe 810 pistons. Just to be sure measure the pistons across the skirt at the bottom and it should measure very close to 64mm. Now finding rings is going to be the challenge, I have not use them but have heard the oil ring is a different size from any other piston manufactured. You will have to have the rings made. Unless you find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and happen to find a NOS set of rings that someone has been hoarding in there basement for 30years. If the bores need some work then you may as well just bore them to 65mm which is the common 836. Or buy a standard bore and pistons and go back to stock displacement.

It depends on the maker of the pistons, some will some wont. Henry Abe used a different size oil ring than most of the others on some of there kits.

thanks dirtdigger, managed to get them all off today with careful hands and a dremel, the specs I'vefand say the cb350 rings should fit, will order and see, cheaper than a new set of piston at this stage. now on to cleaning and prep for paint

In case you decide to go with bigger pistons and want to keep costs down, there are some available on Ebay for $120 plus shipping. I've heard good things about the quality and have a set, but haven't yet used them. These aren't high compression pistons, more like the original ones... so I suppose they'll give performance similar to stock.

Pistons, rings, wrist pins, and head gasket... here's a link to some for sale now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-77-HONDA...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20dc3622ea

Back