• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fuel Filter?

hje_326

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently my dad and I took apart the carbs of my 77 K and noticed what looked like sand in the bottom of them. Is this from dirty fuel? I know my tank has a spot of rust that couldn't get cleaned out but was sealed.

What would work for getting rust out of my tank, or is there a filter I can put after the silcock and before the carbs?

There should be a fine screen filter attached to the fuel valve in the fuel tank. If it isn't ripped they normally do a very good job of filtering the fuel. Check the screen first...you can always put any inline fuel filter in the fuel line. I get the clear plastic ones from any auto part store then you can see what is getting filtered and when it should be replaced.

Is it actually dirt or sand or is it just dried up fuel residue or corrosion of the aluminum carb body itself?

It looks like sand and dirt. We took them all apart to replace the needles and the springs were so gummed up with junk they barely worked. If it helps to picture it (I'll try to get some on here later) there were black-ish deposits in the corners of the bowls that we had to soak in carb cleaner to get out.

Got the carbs back in, hooked up the inline fuel filter, now it won't start. It tries to but I don't think it is getting enough fuel. I checked the filter and it is leaking on both sides. Is this just as easy as getting some clips to put on there or do I need to get new line and a different filter to allow the fuel to flow faster?

Back