• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Is this bike a good purchase?

ebrammer252

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I used to own a 1973 Honda CB450 and while I loved the bike I HATED the points style ignition. Eventually that went to the way side and I picked up a 2000 SV-650 that I've dumped way too much money into. I'm looking for a new project, something to work on and customize. I've got no qualms about doing any mechanical work needed. With that said this has been floating around craigslist for a while, and I figured who better to ask than the forum that specializes in the bike.

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/mcy/4300611103.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13110427580...4&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Any input is appreciated! Thanks!

I wouldn't give more than $1000 at the most. Book value is only around $2000 and thats in good original shape. More than likely there is a carb tuning issue going with the richness and rough idle. There is no reason for them not to be tuned correct because the carbs he put on there are a very tuneable carb, other than maybe just laziness in not wanting to tune them correct??.. As long as it is actually black smoke and not blue smoke then it shouldn't be much of an issue. Other then that its doesn't look like a really bad deal just not a great deal for the $1500 asking price. My opinion.

I wouldn't give more than $1000 at the most. Book value is only around $2000 and thats in good original shape. More than likely there is a carb tuning issue going with the richness and rough idle. There is no reason for them not to be tuned correct because the carbs he put on there are a very tuneable carb, other than maybe just laziness in not wanting to tune them correct??.. As long as it is actually black smoke and not blue smoke then it shouldn't be much of an issue. Other then that its doesn't look like a really bad deal just not a great deal for the $1500 asking price. My opinion.

Yeah, he said his base price was $900, and that's right at what I would value it at. I've dealt with white smoke (worn valve guides) and blue smoke (oil, headgaskets etc.) but I've never dealt with black smoke. I've been through rejetting my SV and I've got the tools and know how, so I don't think I'd be getting myself in over my head.

Back