• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Best Vintage Tires

DSlo

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have read a lot of threads from the group with regards to tires. I know its totally up for the look and feel you want of your bike and price point. I was looking at more vintage tires, specifically the Vintage Firestone Deluxe Champion Tire. I have read some horrible reviews about if it rains or you go over a slick service good luck. Then other reviews loving them. Any one use these tires or have other recommendations on good vintage tires?

I've read similar reviews about those tires. I'm wondering the same thing because I want a set myself! Hopefully someone with experience with those tires will chime in. I think it would depend on the type of riding you plan to do on them though. If you plan on tearing up the corners on a cafe racer they probably aren't a good tire. For a bike you only ride when the weather is nice and if you don't push it in the corners, I would think they'd be fine. :twocents:

I've read the same as Travis. To me those old Firestones look like they are from the 40s or 50s. That would be fitting to an old chopper. I was planning on using Dunlop K70s on the 75 cb750 I'm working on. The price is good and decent reviews, they are not for ripping through the twisties either.

I have not used the Firestones but any tire that has ribbs that goes around the circumference of the tire you will find that the grooves in the road will grab the tire more...whether actual rain grooves or saw joints or even tar patches in the road. If you have ridden on ribbed tires before and you are used to it then its not an issue, but for new riders it will scare the crap out of you the first time you kit a groove in the road and the bike catches the groove. The K70 I have used and it is a good overall tire, far better handling then a full ribbed tire and it will wear better. The first thing I look for in a front tire is to make sure no grooves go around the tire, I like non radial patterns like are on modern sport bike, the more angled the grooves are or the more un uniform pattern the less affect the road surface will have on the bike itself. But again its all personal preference, I like newer patterns with more grip but some like ribbed old school patterns.

Thanks for the reply guys, I was looking at the Dunlop K70s, Coker E70P and Avon Speedmasters. Dirtdigger, I think based on what you are saying these all match the profile. I have Kenda Challengers on there now, dont think it is the best thing for it but dont think it is the worst either.

I've got Avon Speedmaster up front and Avon MK2 on back and as DD wrote I tend to get "grabbed by the road" when crossing groves and what not. First time this happened I almost soiled myself. Now I'm used to it so it's no biggie. And yes, I'm a sucker for looks over handling.

Back