• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

78 CB750 cafe build

goode78

CB750 Member
Reaction score
New member to the forum, just getting started on a new project…. Recently aquired a 1978 Honda cb750k and began the process last Saturday.. Removed a bunch of weight and trying to decide how far we want to go with this one. It's my understanding in order to remove the valve cover you have to pull the engine or cut the frame (brilliant )… Really didn't want to pull the engine as it runs fine but would love to replace that valve cover…Bike has 2800 original miles and was until recently un-molested. Ordering bodywork to fit before we cut anything…..adding some pictures as we go !!

Attachments

• DSC00622.jpg
    DSC00622.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC00640.jpg
    DSC00640.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC00658.jpg
    DSC00658.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC00657.jpg
    DSC00657.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 244
yup have to remove motor to do any top end work on the 750. If you do cut the tubes they make a kit that you weld in that allows you to bolt the tubes back in. Dont cut the tubes and leave them out, you will get a flexy frame and handling issues.

saw some info on Gordon's frame splice kit but not sure if they are making those again ? Looked at Carpy's website and his kit looks pretty simple, I think we will cut it this weekend and install our own frame splice, from the pictures I have seen it shouldn't be that difficult… I found the instructions on line for installing Gordon's kit so will have to use those as a template….and yes I read somewhere that some people elect to leave those out, seems crazy to me to ride like that….

There are several companies that make the frame splice kits but they are all basically the same design and idea.

I wouldn't think of riding with out the braces in. Single backbone is not enough support considering there is no mount to the top of the engine like on most single tube frames.

made some good progress this weekend …. got our frame kit installed and got the valve cover removed…. We are in need of a good polisher if anyone knows a place, would like to find one around central Texas but know we will most likely need to ship parts to someone for polishing ?? Also looking for some high temp engine paint to match the silver color from the factory, I saw Carpy's sell some but looking for alternatives….

Attachments

• DSC00673.jpg
    DSC00673.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC00675.jpg
    DSC00675.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC00666.jpg
    DSC00666.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 259
I have been using aluminum Duplicolor engine enamel paint. It is fairly close to the factory finish. The factory color wasn't really a shiny silver it was a matte aluminum color. The Carpy paint is about the closest you will get to the factory color.

ok found a local polisher and dropped off some engine pieces for them to get started on, ordered some parts and plan on getting some more ordered today… Couple of questions before I do…. Anyone have any experience dealing with Legendary Motorcycle ?? I like their fiberglass Manx tank and the small Thruxton style seat thinking thats the way to go unless someone chimes in with some bad horror stories about them…also going to run air filter pods ( i know some will disagree )… measured across the throat of the carbs and come up with 44.45mm, should I be looking at 45mm pods ? saw some people putting on 42mm pods… of course carbs will be re-jetted for pods and new exhaust when we are all done….working on painting engine case this weekend and getting some more stuff pulled off…

spent the day Saturday taping and scrubbing….. scrubbing and taping…. took about 5 minutes to paint it, but all day to get it ready … Came out better than I expected for doing it in the frame… Waiting on some parts to come in so we can button up the engine….

Attachments

• IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1293.jpg
    IMG_1293.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 187
Finally got some bodywork in and things are starting to take shape….. Have tons of work to do fitting tank and seat and other parts starting to trickle in…. working on polishing rear brake backing plate and have to clean up the frame a little more when we fit those parts…. progress is good !!!

Attachments

• DSCN0640.jpg
    DSCN0640.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN0641.jpg
    DSCN0641.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 204
  • DSCN0642.jpg
    DSCN0642.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 214
your build looks great! Are you going to hollow out the frame were the oil sump tank is? Are you re jetting to compensate for the k&n filters? (my father is building a cb750f cafe and he wants more ideas and variety to see what he wants to do haha)

Thanks Kannen91 !!! We are leaving the oil tank as is, bought some new side covers and will have them painted along with the rest of the bodywork, some people say opening up that area creates even more problems with the pod filters we are running… Will be re-jetting for pods and new exhaust once we get to that point… I found a lot of good ideas on this site and just going through pics on-line and seeing what I liked and didn't like...

Finally got some time to work on the 750..... made some progress this weekend, got all of the engine covers in place, rear wheel and brakes all hooked up and ready to go, mounted the tank on Saturday, about a half a day ordeal but finally figured it out.... next up going to mount the seat pan and tail section and front fender and then off to paint and body work.....still trying to decide on what handlebars to run and what to do with original speedo and tach ?? should we try to replace the gauge faces or just go with aftermarkets ?? considering the LED taillight and turn signals, anyone with any experience on those ??

Attachments

• IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 198
Need some opinions and advice on sticking the metal studs to the bottom of the fiberglass gas tank, scuffed up the area and used JB weld then that popped off like a week later, looking for a better alternative, anybody, anyone..... surely don't want that tank flying off at speed :)

Need some opinions and advice on sticking the metal studs to the bottom of the fiberglass gas tank, scuffed up the area and used JB weld then that popped off like a week later, looking for a better alternative, anybody, anyone..... surely don't want that tank flying off at speed :)

If You have access to a tig or mig tack weld the stud to a flat washer or use silver solder, Giving You more area to bond to.

Ok so this has been a major project, getting close to the end on a 2 plus year build, got a couple of minor things to finish up and then test ride, starting to get even more anxious... should hopefully be done this weekend and riding here in Texas !!

Attachments

• IMG_1931.jpg
    IMG_1931.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1929.jpg
    IMG_1929.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_1925.jpg
    IMG_1925.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 211
Back