• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Neutral switch connection

jimminy

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't find anything online showing how this wire connects exactly.

2007-01-01 00.00.22-ed (Medium).jpg

The wire comes out of the harness where it goes into the crank case. It's light green with a red or orange stripe, which seems almost right per the schematics (which shows a slightly different color). It worked before I disassembled.

Anyway, I thought it would connect directly to the neutral switch I eventually found on the bottom of the crankcase, but turning the little hex head in the center of the switch seemed to be removing the whole switch. There's another bolt head right next to it but that one looks like it's going right into the crank case and would just ground the wire.

2007-01-01 01.48.32-ed (Medium).jpg

It does connect to little hex head bolt in the middle. The large one off to the side is the one that holds it into the engine case. If when you turn the little bolt the whole center of the switch turns then the switch is bad and will probably start to leak oil. You can try to loosen the center bolt by sticking a pick or a sharpened screw driver in one of the 4 small holes around the small bolt to try and keep it from turning when you turn the center bolt, it is just stuck in the switch. If you need to replace the switch just take out the larger bolt that is off to the side and the switch pulls out, but it may be stuck due to the oring that seals it to the case. You may have to wiggle and pry on it slightly.

Thanks DD, that makes perfect sense. I'm really surprised how little info there is about this thing online. Annoyingly, I find a few pictures at my office computer that didn't show up on my home computer doing the same search, but almost nothing showing it hooked up properly.

BTW, am I threading that wire through the case the right way? Leaves very little room for installing the cover and gasket.

Which also reminds me to ask: is there a lot of oil pressure in this part of the engine? I'll replace the gasket but since I've had to take this cover off and on a hundred times now not sure I want to use gasket sealer or just rely on the gasket alone.

No oil pressure under the cover itself but there is oil that gets thrown around. When on the kickstand and left sitting for extended time oil tends to run to this side cover and sit there and if the gasket is marginal you will get an oil leak. I would replace the gasket, I suggest genuine Honda gasket, they are a little more but in my experience the gasket material works better at sealing. No gasket sealer on the Honda gasket, aftermarket thin gaskets I would use a little Permatex High tac or Hondabond. Never use RTV on the 750 motor.

Yes that is the correct routing for the wire. When putting the cover and gasket on make sure the wire is pushed back up against the block, keep it pulled back away from the block more toward you as you are looking at the side of the motor. Its a tight fit but it is only a single wire.

Can anyone please tell me where the neutral switch is located on a 77 Honda CB 750A Hondamatic model. And how should it be wired. Thank you.

I can't find anything online showing how this wire connects exactly.

View attachment 3371

The wire comes out of the harness where it goes into the crank case. It's light green with a red or orange stripe, which seems almost right per the schematics (which shows a slightly different color). It worked before I disassembled.

Anyway, I thought it would connect directly to the neutral switch I eventually found on the bottom of the crankcase, but turning the little hex head in the center of the switch seemed to be removing the whole switch. There's another bolt head right next to it but that one looks like it's going right into the crank case and would just ground the wire.

View attachment 3372
Hello. Are these pictures of the neutral switch for a Honda CB 750 Honda Matic by chance?

Back