• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Phase 2 of the restoration of my 1978 CB750K four: painting

Doug

CB750 New member
Reaction score
So, I've stripped the frame and cleaned off 36 years of grime and rust. I cannot afford powder coating so I have to rattle can everything. I'm looking for suggestions regarding the brand name and type of spray paint I should use for the frame and parts. My budget is very small so I have to restore the existing parts as best I can. The mufflers are serviceable but they are pitted. I plan to sandblast and repaint them with a semi-gloss black. Can I use regular bondo to patch the small pit holes? Can bondo stand up to the heat? I also need to know a good high temp semi-gloss paint for the exhaust/mufflers. Does anyone know how hot the exhaust pipes and mufflers get? Thanks.

for the frame I would use epoxy paint takes a long time to dry but is very hard and durable, the header pipes can reach 700+ deg... use header high temp paint, the mufflers will only reach around 450 deg... again would use the same high temp paint, bondo will not hold up to the heat. for tins I use Duplicolor, its great paint for a rattle can.

Back