• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Side cover bolts

motogtp

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I need to touch up the black engine paint on my SS. Are the Phillips side cover bolts stainless or steel? In other words, can I brighten them up with #0000 steel wool or do I need to do that + clear coat them? I want to retain their silver finish. Thanks.

View attachment 3353They are made out of crappy soft steel and zinc plated.
You will be lucky to get them out without destroying the head.
If you are successful you can give them a light going over with a wire brush and clean them but don't get too fresh or you'll go through the plating and they will rust like crazy the first time you wash the bike.
Ebay has plenty of sources for replacement screw kits. I just put a set of hex head stainless ones on my 73 for about $30.

Attachments

• 73 on the lift.jpg
    73 on the lift.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 126
you can use a hand impact for removal,but chances are you will mess some of them up. if you do not wish to risk removal of them,,i would try this. use your steel wool lightly to clean them, blow everything off with air and cover the screw heads with vaseline then paint your covers. when you wipe the vaseline off,if you missed a small spot on the cover around the screws spray a small bit of paint into the can cap and then use a q tip or small artist brush to touch it up. after all that go back over the screw heads with clear fingernail polish to help keep the shine.

Vaseline and clear fingernail polish! Brilliant. Thanks losttravlyr and Vicman for the suggestions. I am very tempted by the hex head kit but trying to retain the stock look as much as possible. I do have a hand impact but if I mess them up I will go with the hex head kit. For brightening them up a buddy suggested stuffing some #0000 steel wool in a socket and putting that on an extension. The socket should protect the surrounding paint from being scratched.

Vicman - your recommendation is welcomed. There wasn't enough information with most ebay kits for me to feel comfortable that I was getting what I wanted. Thanks.

How successful were you in getting all your old ones out?
I started with the impact but didn't get far. The way I got mine loose was with a prick punch and some discrete tapping with a hammer. They popped loose pretty easily and I could finish with a screwdriver. This does damage the head of the screw and you would need to replace them.

Alloyboltz has the screws as a kit for each bike. They packaged them individually for each cover also, making sorting them out very easy. I was very happy with what I got.

I haven't taken them out yet. I started a few and they loosened without a terrible amount of trouble. I plan to touch up the paint on the side covers first with them in, then remove them one at a time and put the new ones in. I just order the Alloyboltz kit. Thanks for the tip.

Back