• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Odd CB750 Wheels, Rear Brakes, and Rear Sprocket

Chambers

CCs - Cafe' & Choppers
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm doing a cafe build and I'm looking for some replacement parts. I have a very odd set of wheels with a proprietary hub for the associated brake disk and sprocket. I have only been able to find a couple photos of the CB bikes that have these wheels, and usually there isn't much info about them.

The disk minimum thickness is 6mm, currently its just over that round 6.3mm and it shows deep scaring from lack of pad replacement, the disk actually scrapped the caliper. The sprocket center bore is around 63mm in diameter, and the center line of the 6 bolt holes are around 89mm in diameter. I haven't been able to find any replacement rotors or aftermarket sprockets for this set up.

Does anyone have any insight as to where I should get new parts/ what version of the CB750 did my wheels come from?

Photos:

cygv.jpg

dpqg.jpg

r17h.jpg

z27n.jpg

1cv8.jpg

diiy.jpg

snaz.jpg

rel7.jpg

Thanks

The disk and disk brake look to be '75-'77 Super Sport vintage. The 1978 had a caliper that could be unbolted from the arm. Don't know about the sprocket. The wheel - Night Hawk maybe?

Ok, I just found some dimensions for the disk for the years you gave me and they seem to check out ok. Thanks!

I found this photo, the description says 81 CB750F Super Sport, but all the stuff I find for an 81 do not match... I'm at a loss for the sprocket and wheels... I know they came from the same bike, and I have never seen another Honda with those wheels...

DSCI0237.jpg

An option I have considered is finding another sprocket with the correct hub inner diameter and have it drilled to match my hub.

man i am just guessing and verry possibly wrong, but if you can find the sprocket specs,,check out a yamaha 650 79 to 84? something?. they had that style of rear wheel too.

That picture is obviously a custom bike with later style nighthawk wheels and custom paint. im sure your wheels are nighthawk wheels also. as for sprocket and disk I would look at nighthawk components too. But not sure if they will all work together on your machine.

Couple companies back in the 70's used to make rear disk conversions for the cb750's. But this looks like a combination of parts from several different sources. The disk really looks like a 1976 ish goldwing rear disk, large middle and thick solid disk. Caliper does look like a supersport caliper. Those bearing hubs look custom made to me, not like they where produced from honda. I have never seen a rear sprocket mounted like that with rubber inserts. Any parts numbers on the caliper or rotor?

I agree with dirtdigger. The hubs on the Super Sport (brake side) are a cast piece with ribs and on the drive side the rubber dampers are internal to the hub.

So I found something out, the hubs are held onto the wheels by standard thread (not metric) bolts, 5/16-20 allen heads. So I think you guys have it right, custom hubs made by who ever back in the day. Some of the local guys here say they resemble Harley wheels.

Thanks for the replies!

Back