• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil hole in fork tube bottom

Gabby

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi.. First post as new member; thanks for having me on the site. I have a 1977 local police model in restoration. It's basically a K7 and has exposed forks as per that model. I had the fork tubes hard chromed and realised I did not check the size of the small oil transfer hole through the tube side near the bottom. I am now not sure the hole as big as it was prior to that being done. Not sure how critical it will be but does anybody have one on the bench that could be measured with a drill bit perhaps? Many thanks. G

I don't have one on the bench but I do have a set in the shed I could take apart if necessary. Give it awhile and see if anyone else can help... if not, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do. I'm not 100% sure the tubes are from a '77 because the bike was an Amen frame chopper... had a '77 engine and I think the other components were likely from the same donor bike.

Problem is there were several different tubes throughout the years and they are different between the K and F bikes. Does it look like the hole has been made smaller by the chroming? Normally it doesn't change it that bad with chroming. I dont have a later fork around to disassemble right now either.

The hole just looks like it doesn't have a neat edge so I thought there may have been some excess metal laid down there. After having a look at the way it works I'm starting to think it may not be too critical so might just put it together and see how it goes.

Btw, The manual for this says a fork takes 145-155 mL of oil. Never seen a range stated like that on another machine. Is there a recommended end of the range, or should I just use 150?

Thanks for the replies.

my spec shows 160 to 166cc but you can adjust up and down to change how the fork works. If your book says 145 to 155 then yes I would go middle and use 150 as a start. Different weight oils will have different dampening affect also. The only thing that the smaller hole might do is stiffen up the damping but really that is not a bad thing because your springs are probably a little soft anyway from use. I would try it as long as both fork holes are the same size.

Back