• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Tank Sealers?

Andy

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
It looks like there are 3 major kinds of tank sealers:

Kreem
POR 15
Red Kote

I need to put a sealer in my tank. Has anybody used these? Any opinions on which is best and easiest to use?

Thanks!

Use caswell I've been told it the best by my painter who has done 2 bikes for me. I have a kit that I purchased few months ago that I plan on using . I've have heard some negative stuff on all three brands u listed. I have used the kreem kit in years past and it did peal off a year or so later on a Honda interceptor ........
Hope this helps

Andy i have used the caswell coating with great results easy to use and held up very well on my tracy fiberglass tank/body. I cut the bottom out of this tank a few mounths ago to increase fuel capacity and the caswell coating was very hard and i had no peeling, coating was very even and had adhered to all surfaces inside the tank. It was a rare look on the complete inside of a tank. I highly recomend caswell. Caswell.com

I checked out the Caswell website. It looks like they make 2 different kinds of sealers. The standard and an upgraded product that is for use with racing fuels and alcohols. It's called Black Magic and runs $10 more. They don't specifically mention Ethanol, but for 10 bones more I'm going to go for it. Not something I want to do twice.

K2750Tracy I would have loved to see some pics of that cut apart tank. I'm sure a lot of other people would have also. Thanks for the input! I'm going to go with Caswell.

I think I'll do the electronic rust removal that Travis posted awhile back first. It can't hurt. Link to his thread: http://www.cb750.com/threads/49-How-To-Remove-Rust-with-Electrolysis?highlight=tank

Edit: They do mention ethanol specifically. Makes the choice a lot simpler.
http://www.caswellplating.com/resto...-tank-sealer/black-magic-gas-tank-sealer.html

Last edited:
When i got my caswell kit last year it cost 49.99, they lowered the cost of the original kit and kept the new product at the same cost. I need to reseal my tank after modifiying the frame tunnel i'll be useing the new product also. The black color will be a benfit for me as when i hold a light up to my tank i can see through it and will be able to see any areas not covered very easely.

I have used Kreem, didn't last. Last tank I did I used Red Kote, over two years on it and still holding strong. I will use it again.

The advantages of Red Coat are that it holds up very well, but can be cleaned out of the tank with Methyl ethyl Ketone. The epoxy creams don't seem to hold up as well and are difficult to remove from the inside of the tank, once applied.

Back