• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Frame Help

06ltd

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I bought a 1977 CB750 a couple of years ago which turned out to be a complete basket case of a cafe project. Wine + Ebay = poor decision making. Should be common sense but I had to learn the hard way. The list of problems is far too long to list here but suffice it to say I'm finally getting around to a complete tear down and restoration as a winter project. Or was, until I found some frame damage. I don't have any experience with this type of frame and am looking for a little guidance and input regarding whether this is reparable. There isn't any rust or corrosion, just a couple of dents. I was thinking of just cutting the entire section out and welding in new metal but would like to hear what others have to say. Thanks!

-Alec

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

That ought to work. If you can sleeve it and maybe put a couple of rosette (plug) welds in there it would be stronger than the original. I don't think it would adversely affect the flexing of the frame, but I guess it's possible that the head tube wouldn't flex evenly with one down tube being stiffer than the other. You could do both sides the same, but that might be overkill.

06ltd, if you cant save the frame I will soon have a 75 750F frame available PO has to find the title. I,m close to you in Hanover, Pa. But I hope you can save yours.

Do you have any idea what caused the damage in the first place? Let us know how it goes.

I don't know what caused the damage, but it seems like an odd place to find dents just considering the geometry of the handbars and front wheel in a crash. I wouldn't be surprised to find more problems as I continue the teardown. Maybe it slid under something? Got backed into? No idea. I'll try to keep updates coming as I move along, thanks everyone!

-Alec

06ltd, if you cant save the frame I will soon have a 75 750F frame available PO has to find the title. I,m close to you in Hanover, Pa. But I hope you can save yours.

That's great to know and I may take you up on that! I'm only 20 minutes from Westminster so we're practically neighbors. Thanks!

-Alec

Does anyone know if there is some way or someone in the Mid-Atlantic (I'm thinking of a jig here) to check if a frame is bent or not? Thanks!

-Alec

I would go for a good used frame. By the time you have it put on a rack and checked you will have more money into it then a new used frame.

That's great to know and I may take you up on that! I'm only 20 minutes from Westminster so we're practically neighbors. Thanks!

-Alec

Hey great i work in Westminter by the airport. Will keep you posted on when frame is avalibale and condition

I would go for a good used frame. By the time you have it put on a rack and checked you will have more money into it then a new used frame.

I think you're probably right. As much as I would like to keep the numbers matching I would prefer the peace of mind knowing I have an undamaged frame under me.

Your frame number and motor number will never match up, as long as you have a correct year frame for the motor then it would be considered "correct". The motor and frame numbers never came from the factory matched. Honda made many more motors then they made bikes, so sometimes run over motors from one year made it into the next year bike.

The frames are not identical but they can be made to work. The rear of the frame in particular has different mounting for the rear brake and footpeg. The swingarms are different. The frame also had different geometry in the front fork. You can make the frame work, front end, motor etc should bolt in but there may be bracket tweeking needed to get everything to fit.

The frames are not identicle but they can be made to work. The rear of the frame in particular has different mounting for the rear brake and footpeg. The swingarms are different. The frame also had different geometry in the front fork. You can make the frame work, front end, motor etc should bolt in but there may be bracket tweeking needed to get everything to fit.

Thanks a lot for your input, are the '77/78' frames compatible? Or is it '76/'77, I can't remember but I thought they were built in two year blocks at the time.

Back