• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Blown main fuse

215Guy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So I'm assuming, or maybe just hoping that there is a simple fix to this, or something that I'm just overlooking since I'm not so good with electrical stuff, but here is my problem. I blew the main fuse on my 81 cb750 custom recently.

Based on what I had seen on this forum, and others, I decided to try and install a fuse holder with a modern fuse instead of the old blade fuse that the bike originally had. With the holder connected to the main fuse box, I got nothing. No power transfer at all, and no reaction when trying to start, no lights on or anything.

Before the main fuse blew, all the electrical seemed fine, and I have yet to find connectors that look particularly corroded or worn. The battery reads a little over 12 when hooked up. If i meter directly from the battery connectors on the main fuse box, I get the same reading. When I meter from the positive contact, to the opposite end of the fuse connection, it drops to 0.

It all seems so simple that I'm not really sure how to go about trouble shooting it. I've attached picture. the connections you see here are just for picture sake, I did have it connected more properly when I was testing it. Thanks for any help. photo 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

Looks like Your reading the voltage on each end of the fuse in which will give You zero, Are You grounding the neg. to the batt. or frame and testing the pos. on the fuse block? The blade fuses are the most up to date. The glass are out dated. How are You connecting the new fuse to replace the original?

Back