• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Fixture table is flat!!!!

Sprocket

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My frame fixture is an I-beam with adjustable modules for neck axle plates and lower frame rails. It clamps down to my work table, which has not been flat since I first saw it back in the mid 90s at my job.
The company moved and didn't want to pay for trailer space with the machine riggers, so they GAVE it to me (along with a Snap=On tool box...lol)!

Table had been used for years as a production welding fixture, with many jigs built on it and welded to it. The resulting grinding of welds left the surface wavy as hell.

Last week, I found a shop to blanchard grind it for a good price. Dropped it off, went out for lunch, picked it up and went home. Fast service, great price, and I have a flat table that I can accurately measure from!!!!

The full length pic is kinda cluttered, already have it loaded with jobs...lol.. XS400 frame with motor is my mockup for single carb intakes, and sould give you an idea of scale. Table surface is 6'X3' with a 3" drip rail all around.
The end pic is next to my CNC mill and has a bunch of machine tools and hold-downs.
Finally, a pic of the ground surface. Not much open space on the table, but you get the idea.

fixture table2.jpgfixture table3.jpgfixture table.jpg

Very nice! Any idea how much it weighs? I spy and XS650 engine there too. I don't see the mill, just that huge lathe. Tell me more about the lathe.

The 650 motor is just a mockup piece, been outside for years...lol I'm using it as a fixture for the single carb manifold, same for the XS400 that's up there. The mill is to the right of the table in the full view pic (out of the pic).

The lathe is an old WWII era LeBlonde. It's thrown more chips than I'm likely to see in my lifetime. Just a roughing lathe as it's set up. No leadscrew/halfnut/gearbox for threading, but I'm working on an electronic lead screw almost like a crude CNC to set feeds for threading.
It can handle a crankshaft from a small block chevy (for polishing the journals) and the chuck is 10" diameter, lathe swings 8-9" from center. 6 speed gearbox, 2 range + reverse motor. Half a dozen feeds.

Mill is a Supermax with a Prototrak MX2 (2 axis CNC) controller.

Attachments

• IMG_20111222_223218.jpg
    IMG_20111222_223218.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 672
  • IMG_20111222_223231.jpg
    IMG_20111222_223231.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 122
Back