• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Kick stand, lowered bike

motogtp

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
General question - I have lowered my Super Sport 2" in the back and plan to drop the front about an inch. The center stand will be removed. What are my options for the kick stand? Heat it up and bend it? Cut and weld? If I heat it should it be quenched or air cooled? Thanks.

quick n durty,,i would just heat it till red while it is down and then pound it with a heavy hammer till it leaned as much as you need it to. might also take a cutting wheel and relieve the metal gusset above the foot part of it if it is needed also. just let it air cool,,it will be o.k.

Thanks

quick n durty,,i would just heat it till red while it is down and then pound it with a heavy hammer till it leaned as much as you need it to. might also take a cutting wheel and relieve the metal gusset above the foot part of it if it is needed also. just let it air cool,,it will be o.k.

OK, good to know. I was going to take the kickstand off and heat/bend it on the bench. I like your method better. Thanks.

it's all good. just be safe and have a friend holding it from the other side or ratchet straps to a wall making sure to keep the bike from falling on ya.

It'll stick out a little bit if you bend it, but that's usually not a problem. If you bend the mount for the side stand out and not the side stand itself, it won't stick out, but that seems like more work than it's worth. Air cooled is the way to go.

It'll stick out a little bit if you bend it, but that's usually not a problem. If you bend the mount for the side stand out and not the side stand itself, it won't stick out, but that seems like more work than it's worth. Air cooled is the way to go.

Didn't think about that but a little worried about weakening the mount weld. Or is that not an issue? I would like a cleaner look but repainting the mount area will be more work.

Well that would depend on the mount and how much room you have to heat and bend. I'll have to take a closer look at the mount on my cb750. I wouldn't worry about weakening the mount with just a slight bend. Just don't use anything to force cool the steel. You want it to air cool (no wind or fan either) so it normalizes after being red hot. You don't want to harden the mount by quenching because that would make it "brittle". You don't want to slow down the cooling process either or you will anneal the steel and make it soft.

Travis - thanks for the detail. The heater in my shop is currently not working so I am glad I didn't bend it this weekend. Ambient temp. was 22 F so I probably would have annealed the steel.

Back