• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Changing Tires

Travis

Forum Staff
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
So I changed the tire on my buddy's SV1000 the other day, and I need to change both tires on my CB750, XS650, and FZ1, as well as un-mount a couple of other tires. I changed the SV1000 tire on the garage floor with some 2x4s and tire levers. What a pain in the ass. I've done it before a few years ago and now remember why I haven't done it since. Breaking beads with a my crappy 2x4 lever system attached to my workbench isn't easy.

So I was thinking about buying, or building something like this:

Cycle_Hill_Standard.jpg

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/products/4

Here's a video of it in action:

No-Mar has some other nice models. I might just buy the clamping blocks and no-mar bar and build something like the JR Pro tire changer without the base. I'll just mount it to my welding table.

Anyone one else change your own tires? What do you use?

Wishing I had one of those! I'm still standing around imitating a silver back MTN Gorilla with a pair of odball tire iron tools

Unfortunately I do change my own tires. I go through a lot of dirt bike tires and pinched tubes:banghead: I dont change the tires on my CBR though, I dont want to take the chance scratching the rims and I like to have them balanced really well on good balance machine. I like the look of that tire changer, I like that it supports the rim in three spots. I may have to build one now:thumbsup:

The more I think about this, the more I think I might try to build my own. I like projects like this. I think I'm done with the tire irons.

Regarding balancing tires, I use a static balancer. They are accurate and easy to use. Apparently a lot of race teams use them since they are portable, accurate, and easy. They just take longer so that's apparently why most shops use the machines.

When a wheel has a disc brake, I like to use my auto tire machine. It holds the rotor and allows you to work on the tire. Sometimes I can do all the work just as I would on an automobile tire, other times I do everything by hand, but still have the tire and wheel held by the machine.

Back