• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

81 CB750 Custom

215Guy

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I just picked up an 81 CB750 Custom. It seems like its in great shape, started and ran briefly before I bought it. Supposedly sat in a garage since 89.

There was a good amount of varnish in the tank which I've cleaned and coated. The carbs leaked gas out of the overflows at first, but after tapping them with a mallet, they seem to have stopped for now. The guy I got it from had it hooked to a car batter while doing the work, but when I tried to hook it up to a brand new proper batter, I blew the main fuse.

My plan is to work on it throughout the winter to ensure that I have a strong reliable runner by the time the spring comes around. I'm just trying to come up with a plan for what to check, work on, replace, etc. I'm not trying to do things I don't need, but I'd rather do work now than have problems in the summer.

Just looking for suggestions regarding the order to check and do things in and suggested maintenance for a bike that's been sitting that long in hopes of turning it into a rider.

I'm somewhat new to working on these, but am mechanically inclined and have some people I can go to for more involved help.

Thanks for any suggestions. 2013-10-12 18.33.51.jpg

Check everything if you have time.
ALL electric connections should be cleaned and replaced if need be. Always solder.
Remove, disassemble and clean the carbs. This will be the fun part (Im serious) The first time I cleaned my carbs was a bonding experience. You will only need some shop towels, an air compressor, and some solvent.
I heard an interesting way to clean out the gas tank involving a dryer and some stainless nuts. Although you said you've already cleaned the tank. So nvm.
Replace leaking gaskets.
Ensure lamps, sensors and fuses are working.
Change the oil (duh)
Chain maintenance.

This is general stuff I think about. I hope i didnt miss anything.

Back