• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Does my carbs tilt to much?

Stabler

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
As my title states, does my carbs HERE tilt to much?
If they do, how much is adjustable with changing the float levels accordingly? Is that even possible? If not, is there any other way then to get a longer front end and/or lower rear wheel?

(On a side note, is that coil mounted to close to the motor? I'm concerned about the heat..)

Thanks, Stabler.

It looks like the top of the engine case is pretty level. I can't imagine the carb angle is much different than stock if you're using the stock carb mounts. Maybe someone has a picture of a stock bike for comparison? I think I'd just give it a try and see what happens. I'm sure you can adjust the float level if need be.

I saw your 400 on your website. Sweet lookin' bike.:thumbsup:

I've got some answers off of HC.com and apparently they tilt to much.. I'm using pre '77 carb boots to mount my '78 carbs to my '75 engine. Yeah I know - sick. Since my carb boots have an ID that is 4 mm less then the OD of my carbs I had to boil these puppies for quite some time to get them pliable. Now they're in place - and I've just found out they have to go off again.. Man is this chop a PITA!!

Regarding my wifes XS400, thanks for the compliment Andy! I bought and chopped that one while waiting for parts from over seas for my CB750. I just have to keep busy!

Have you tried CycleX for new boots? Prob not the cheapest way to go, but new will fit right and not leak air... and you don't need to boil them off the carbs when they need a good cleaning or re-build :D

Chop looks good, clean single top tube and gusset. Me likey!!! SOHC!!!! HCMF!!!!!!

Edit: Oh... DUH! it's an Amen Savior, of coarse it's clean and cool! lmao

Yeah, I've looked at cyclex carb boots. A bit pricey. Got me a set of a fellow member at HC.com for cheap. Good stuff!

And thanks man! Really appreciate the compliments!

Stabler I dont think they are much diff than mine...cept my engine sits in a cycleX boxer frame..no carb issues once I drilled them out to a 165...lol

I don't think they look that bad either, but since you got another set of boots coming, I guess it doesn't matter much. Plus, no need to deal with carb holders that are too small every time you need to take the carbs on and off.

I heard that using the smaller boots will make 'em split over time.. And that the tilt is to much. Anyways, new used carb boots is en route so everything seems to be in order.

Last edited:
The engine looks good and level but those carbs are tilted quite a bit. They might work but you may run into fuel control issues with hard accel and decels. I would level them to prevent hard to chase down running problems. The carbs should be level. The sohc carbs are all parallel not mater what year......as far as I can find. I think the coil will be OK, I had some mounted on the engine case before and had no problem.

Back