• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

The Walk of Shame

Belle

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So, today I ran myself out of gas, luckily I died out near some good folks willing to help with a gallon from the mower, good uncut gas; they saw me hobbling by & when it went down they hollered off from the roof top, as they were cleaning the gutters, I gladly accepted, they wanted no payment, saw they were having a couple beers & so sixxer of their favorite is going to them ASAP. I made it to the gas station & another 5-6 miles before it decided to, just, stop--no big--only 4 more miles home.
I've been trouble shooting this CB500 for a few weeks now &, even though its not the best way or for everybody, I end up walking & pushing quite a bit, think I have the problems picked out enough to keep from overspending. I have a rusty fuel tank--replace that; the points system (ignition) is working well enough but a new system is preferred--fix that; charging system works well enough & gonna talk to Cycle X tomorrow morning if I need that too work their ignition--gotta then I gotta, maybe I won't; the head seems to be okay but the machine shop down the street will fix it up nice for me if I pull it all apart & put it back together myself--doing that, I'll feel bettter knowing the head is solid & its only a $150 in machinist charges; the bottom end seems okay enough & I'm hoping to hold off on that until this winter because I'd like to really clean & replace some parts, along with some balancing--money is a little tight, fix that only if I need to; transmission is good; & all other stop & go parts have been fixed recently.
I don't mind the walk of shame & thought to push through until this winter, but I know if I do that I'll just nickle & dime myself to death fixing & re-fixing the engine. No, the walk of shame is good in my book but if I do it to many times I get irritated with myself--hell, the machine only does what I want it to. The walk of shame is nice, its that moment to reflect, its a time for you & the machine to come to terms with each other, to relly appreciate what each other does for one and the other.
:rolleyes:

I think that has happened to everyone. I ran out of gas on the interstate once about 1/2 mile from an exit. It wasn't on a CB750, but a bike with a remote petcock. I mixed up the main fuel line and reserve fuel line when I had the tank off, so when it started to sputter, I switched it over to "reserve" but had no gas left. Lesson learned. I had to push it up the off ramp and then coast down a hill to a gas station. It could have been worse, but that was a hell of a work out.

I awoke the other night with horrible sweats. I figured a beer would help, so I sat around sipping a beer & smoking a 'grette trying to put my dreams into something understandable. I decided to skip all of the above, being that I hadn't really let the motor fall apart yet--all I'd seen was NO GAS. So I pulled the gas tank, scrubbing it with a scrubby brush kind of contraption & rust breaker (gonna rinse it later tonight), new spigots, filters, line, cleaned the carbs with 2-3 cans of spray & rebuilt a couple faulty gaskets with some BLACK (CB 500 has O-ring gaskets at the bowls, unlike the 750--or, at least mine do), & ordered a new coil set from Accel to replace the OEM (37 yr old) coils, have a new set of points &, well, I'm hoping that will curb the NIGHT TERRORS. The top end looks good & I hate to dig into that without doing the bottom, plus, I hate pointing fingers at something whenever ALL I really did was run out of gas & draw junk from the tank into the carbs, shutting me down. After a compression test the signs were good & the junnk didn't seem to enter the engine causing problems. It was just to much junk that a little tap & a release of bowls wasn't enough roadside service.
I'll let ya all know how I'm sleeping later--until then...

F>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CK!

F>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CK!

I stripped the carburetor bowl screws!

F>>>>>>>>>>>>>CK

F>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CK!

Its okay I can fix it

F>>>>>>>>CK!

Back