• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750c street rod build - "Old Blue"

NobNoc

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Greetings all and thank you for viewing our first post! Since it is our first post, I'll preface it with a little history, we are a small start up shop in Denton, Texas specializing in Honda CB's. This bike is our fourth build, and we want to get involved with the CB750 community so I figured we'd start here! Enjoy the build, when the bike is finished it will be for sale!

1. Our build starts here, with a quite nice '81 CB750C with 21k miles on it. No real issues when the build began, ran smooth, pulled strong and stopped well, just some cosmetic issues and balding tires. The motor is in great shape, the timing is spot on and all cylinders blow a strong 175psi and all the valve clearances were well within spec, someone took good care of this bike.
IMG_0556.jpg

2. Right, so, didn't start taking pictures until about the end of day two, so they kick in after the bike has been stripped to the frame and had the swingarm removed. Old girl came apart super easy for us, even the usually bastardly soft Honda bolts kept up and we didn't have to extract any screws. We cut off the rear frame horns immediately after the engine hoop and all the trailings on the bottom after the engine hoop, we ain't go no time for all that metal.
IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

3. Next up is a little mod that's just for aesthetics, I've done it to a few bikes and generally like it, but I take the headlight brackets, cut about an inch and a half or so off the bottom of each side, and turn em upside down and re-install em, you can turn em upside down and swap sides if you want to keep the pretty chrome side out. The end result is that the headlight sits about 4-6 inches lower on the front forks, which I quite care for, I like to see the road, not the ass of a headlight ;)
IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

4. I love painting, the whole process. Sandblasted the tank and was amazed to find zero bondo, sanded, and primed. Remember! Paint is only as good as the primer under it! Light, even coats, HAND sand with 300 grit then 1500 after letting it totally dry, and don't let yourself think "it's only primer!"
IMG_0563.jpg

5. Silver bottom coat for a nice stripe. I have an air compressor and a paint gun/booth, but I've been finding myself painting with Duplicolor Perfect Match paint more and more. Sure, it's a rattle can, but it's great paint that sprays well, holds an impressive gloss and is hard to run. If you are doing stripes like I am, you :cussing:MUST:cussing: let it dry for AT LEAST 24 hours or you WILL be spending lots of extra time re-sanding and painting because your impatient plan of using painter's tape and pressing lightly will rip up the metal flake. Like mine did. Harrumph.
IMG_0566.jpg

6. Ol' blue gets a topcoat of dazzling blue, these pics seriously have no justice in em for how nice this blue turned out. Freaking Duplicolor, who knew? Got the stripe lined up and taped off. I like the rolls of vinyl pinstripe from Autozone, but silly teenagers, it's a stencil ;)
IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

7. Next up while the tank dries overnight, the carbs get a rebuild and hand polish, plus our special NobNoc Screwectomy, as I like to call it, haha. No more shitty weak Honda screws, just hardened American grade 5! Woohoo!! Sorry no pics of the rebuild. It was late, had a few beers, memory wanes.
IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

8. Most of the major frame work is done here. We fabricated brackets to relocate the shocks out of some nice 1/8" steel for the brackets on the top and bottom and built gusseted supports for the brackets for extra strength. For anyone whose curious, we're welding with a wire Hobart 190 amp 25% argon mix. Works wonders with Honda frames! Important to note, we're using the stock CB750 shocks here as a mock up ONLY!! You WILL need to buy stiffer shocks!
IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

9. Tank's done! Turned out marvelous. Still need to buff and clearcoat.
IMG_0616.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

10. Aaaand all in mockup. Coming together nicely.
IMG_0660.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

That's about it for now. Stay tuned! We're not done yet... Next step, powdercoating!

Oh yes!

1. Good day today! Stripped the bike back down and welded two 3/4" steel tubes coming off the back of the frame with some nice gussets for strength. We're still debating on the seat. Either going to go with a bobber seat or custom fab a wood-leather seat.
IMG_0680.jpg

Now that that's all done, the frame, swingarm, engine mount brackets, triple tree, front fork holder, gauge cluster, handlebar fuse box, and handlebar holders are at the powder coater, they are going to sandblast the frame for us and shoot it with a special clear powdercoat, so it should all have a nice durable powdered metal look on the frame.

Stay tuned!

Back