• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Plastic parts fix

bernie750

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi all. New to site and full of questions wish me luck I'm going to need it.

My 1972 K2 is going to need almost everything. Everywhere I look I find another problem, but I have lots of time and even more patience. Near as I can tell I will need to start from the ground and work my way up. Some parts are there and others are missing. I want to repair and reuse as much as I can. Just want to stay as close to original as is feasable.

My question is: what kind of plastic is used on the body parts, sidecovers and headlight bucket and other such pieces? some are cracked, some are broken and some missing. I was thinking of fiberglass as a material for repairing the cracks and broken pieces. I have plenty of glass and resin at my disposal. I don't use the polyesther resins as we found they are a little to "stinky" Is glassing a good method of repair? My plan was to rout out the cracks, bring the surrounding area down to about half its original thickness and repair using several layers of very fine cloth. Where needed I can fill with chopped strand or milled strand. Will this work or should I take a different approach?

Thanks to all in advance
Bernie

I have fixed side covers before but you eventually will break them again because the rubber grommets get hard, etc. I would just look for some good used ones on ebay or go with aftermarket reproductions. Kind of depends on how original you want the bike to be as to what to do with the cover whether you use originals or aftermarket type.

I read about a method I'm going to try. Cut a crack into a V crevice with a dremel. The fill with baking soda and drip in super glue. Sand and shape.

From my limited experience with fiberglass. Its not very fleable, very hard and difficult to shape and generally a pain to work with. Just my impression trying to fix a boat haul.

Utube has a variety of fixes titled under ABS plastic repairs, I used abs cement (glue) to repair the sidecover tabs on My goldwing, Worked good They lasted like that until I sold it two years later.

I've used two part epoxy specifically for plastic on several side covers. It has generally held up well.

Back