• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

air blowing out with tappet cover removed

dan1951

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Putting the k-2 to rest for the winter, I was just curious as to see how the oil flow was to the rocker assy. I removed the rocker cap and started it up plenty of oil but also alot, I mean alot of air being blown out of the adjusting hole, The breather hose is puffing a small amount of air but nothing like the rocker cover cap hole. I feel like I might have a problem here is this normal? Engine runs great. Thanks in advance.

You will get air pumping out of the tappet covers if you take them off while it is running. The breather on these motors is small for the amount of air that is pumping around inside the motor. Guys that drag race and road race these motors add more or make a bigger breather port to help take care of this. Excessive ring blow by will cause excessive pressure in the crankcase but you need to do a leak down test to see if it is excessive. If there are no problems with breather hose popping off or blowing seals out and no excessive blowby in the air box then I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks Digger, You kept Me from taking another Tylenol. D.D. whats involved doing a leakdown test? I,ve only done compression test in the past. Is most of this pressure caused by the downward stroke of the pistons? Again Thanks D.D.

I found an article on leakdown testing and what items are needed to make one. I have most of the components to make one, Winter project.

Like I said if you dont have any issues or running problems I wouldn't worry about it. But it is always a good thing to know what the condition of your motor is.

Back