• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Trying to Get My Front Fork Cases Back to Factory Color

Craigermags

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there, can anyone help me out with a referral or information regarding the color of the front forks for a K1 CB750.

I have recently removed the right and left cases on the shocks to remove some pitting an scratches. I had to buff out some of the scratches. Now they are back to new condition but I want to get that factory look back into them. I have heard that some folks have powder coated them with silver while others have used fine steel wool to dull them up and then used a clear powder coating to finish them.

What have you used and/or recommend

Thanks for our help on this issue.

Craig

I've only polished forks, but powder coating them silver wouldn't really be restoring them. Are you going for a period correct restoration or do you just want the look and don't care if they're exactly how it was done from the factory? I guess either way I would try using something to get the aluminum to look how you want (like fine steel wool like you mentioned) then clear them.

Travis, thanks for responding. Yes, I would like to do a period correct restoration so any help and your ideas are appreciated. Craig

Yeah I'd clean then up and remove any scratches with finer and finer grits of sand paper, then try fine steel wool or a scotch-brite pad if the sandpaper doesn't give it the right look, then spray some clear on them to protect the finish. Let us know how it goes!

I used 400 grit wet sand paper, Then 1000 grit. After I buffed them with a buffer wheel. Still need to put on a clear coat.
CAM00266.jpgCAM00265.jpg

raj4994 if using the correct polishing compound you wont have to clear coat them. Just a thought. BUT then you get them almost to chrome finish, and I don't think that's what Craigermags is after.

(Good looking buffing btw raj4994)

Last edited:
I spent more time sanding than buffing. In the past I only buffed (Many Many hours). Didn't think about using sand paper till just recently. What a difference!

I'm new here and have the same problem with a 71 CB750 which I just acquired which was stuck in a shed for over 25 years. Got it running and now it is time to get street worthy and looking like a motorcycle. This really helps. Thanks. I will be back for more information and questions. Thanks again

Back