• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Replacing the clutch on my '76 k

wbradshaw6

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 1976 cb750 k engine (836 big bore kit) and my clutch has been slipping lately. Also, there was a chatter, almost rhythmic grinding sound coming from my clutch. When I took it apart, I found a crack in my pressure plate. I had that welded and the clutch stopped make the noise, but I am still getting some slippage. I am going to replace my clutch plates with the Cycle X Super Clutch Kit and figure I might as well replace the pressure plate with one that is in better condition while I am at it. I have been searching on ebay and have found that the easiest thing for me to do is purchase a whole new clutch basket assembly and put the new Cycle X plates in there. What I am wondering is do I need to look specifically for a 1976 k clutch basket, or can I use one off of a super sport? Also, does it need to be a 1976 or can I use one from a different year. i.e. will a 1974 cb750 f clutch basket work in my 1976 k engine? Thanks guys.

Older should fit but 77 and newer will not they used a longer basket that will cause fittment issues.

Older should fit but 77 and newer will not they used a longer basket that will cause fittment issues.

Alright, so I am looking for anything '76 and older. I will most likely try to find something as close to '76 as possible. Do you know if the clutch basket from the Super Sport (F model) is interchangeable with my K model?

Ok, I just did some looking as 76 is a year when honda started doing some parts changing on the 750 stuff. Online microfiche show 76 through 78 both K and F motor using the same basket. My old school microfiche show a totally different number for 76 then either the early or later motors. I would tend to think the online is updated and I would look for 76 through 78 clutch basket in either a F or a K. 76 is one of those years where several different parts could have made it into the motor depending on when in the year the motor was made as they phased out the older version parts. There is confliciting information out there about the clutch on the 76 but looking at production numbers at the change over I now am thinking that a majority had the later basket. Sorry for the confusion and this is one of the reasons I stick to the early 750's.

Ok, I just did some looking as 76 is a year when honda started doing some parts changing on the 750 stuff. Online microfiche show 76 through 78 both K and F motor using the same basket. My old school microfiche show a totally different number for 76 then either the early or later motors. I would tend to think the online is updated and I would look for 76 through 78 clutch basket in either a F or a K. 76 is one of those years where several different parts could have made it into the motor depending on when in the year the motor was made as they phased out the older version parts. There is confliciting information out there about the clutch on the 76 but looking at production numbers at the change over I now am thinking that a majority had the later basket. Sorry for the confusion and this is one of the reasons I stick to the early 750's.

Thank you so much! I have found a 76 F and I am waiting for the seller to send me the dimensions, hopefully it will fit.

Back