• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bringing an 82 CB750K back from the dead....

witttom

Moto Junkie
Reaction score
...or not.

I bought this non-running 82 CB750K with the sole intent of parting it out. After I got it home though, I was having second thoughts. It really wasn't half bad and I was guessing that all it really needed was a carb clean.

523017_10151000914879377_619864376_13343996_535641852_n.jpg

I've done a fair amount of work to it PRIOR to addressing it's running issues, mainly making it look presentable. I know that's putting the horse before the carriage, but I wanted to feel that it was a bike worth going down that path.

581394_10151062848764377_619864376_13391987_788244254_n.jpg

I pulled the carbs, dropped the bowls, and found that the jets were actually clean. The floats also appeared to be in good shape. I believe I have a float needle that may be bad on #3 as it will let some fuel overflow, but it should not be reason for it to prevent it from running.

148779_10151088662394377_619864376_13417704_1517615325_n.jpg

I swapped out the solenoid (which wasn't stopping it from running, but it was flaky and driving me insane), a coil, a plug wire, and dropped in new plugs. After an afternoon of tinkering with it and was able to get it running. Running, but not running well. In fact, running pretty bad. All four cylinders are hitting, all head pipes are getting hot, but it sounds like a rattly bag of bolts.

The video makes it sound worse than it it, but you get the idea....
http://youtu.be/orgdy46CgLo

To me, this now appears to be a timing issue. So I pull the ignition cover, check the timing, and see that while it does not appear to be way off based on the timing marks, it is advanced as far as it will go. So I back it off and make it ever so slightly retarded. I'm now unable to start it up because it's late at night and I don't want to wake the family.

This afternoon, and go at it again. I can get it to sputter, but it won't start. I move the timing around a bit, anywhere from slightly retarded, to being right smack in the zone (or what I believe to be dialed in), or even backed to being advanced. Other than a couple seconds here and there, it's just not running. To add insult to injury, I've cranked it over so much over the past couple days, the starter is now beginning to slip and rattle.

I've been planning on pulling the valve cover and checking the valve clearances as that was one of my original suspects as well, but at this point I'm just getting frustrated. Even if the valves are tight, I'd think I'd be able to get it running better than what it is (albeit a difficult start).

I also know that these CV carbs are notorious for needing the airbox to run 'Right', but I'm not even to that stage of fine tuning yet. I just want to get it running well enough that I can say, "Yes... this is a bike I want to put back on the road." and then spend the time to make it right, or "No, this bike is destined to be parts.".

I'm to the point where I need to make a decision. Do I push on and invest even more time to get this running? Do I cut bait, and sell the bike as it sits right now, running but not running right? ...or do I fall back on the original plan and part it out?

Ugh. that sounds horrible! So I take it from your diagram that some of your valves have no clearance? Did you ever check the compression? Is oil being delivered to the cams? Did you clean the carbs anyway or just skip it because they looked clean?

Ugh. that sounds horrible! So I take it from your diagram that some of your valves have no clearance? Did you ever check the compression? Is oil being delivered to the cams? Did you clean the carbs anyway or just skip it because they looked clean?

Yes, some have zero clearance (or less than .002").

I've not checked compression (yet) because I don't have the equipment readily available to me at the moment, and I would not expect much compression anyway with some valves likely being held open.

Good oil flow. Cams and shims show no wear.

I did not clean the carbs. I pulled the jets out, noted that each one was open, sprayed carb cleaner though each one anyway, inspected the floats to make sure none of them were saturated/leaking. I can see someone has been here before me (guessing they were already cleaned). I think I may have one float needle that is not seating well. Will come back to that later. I don't want to invest a bunch of time (too late) and money only to find out that I have a bunch of burnt valves and end up scrapping it anyway. ;)

I don't want to invest a bunch of time (too late) and money only to find out that I have a bunch of burnt valves and end up scrapping it anyway. ;)

Yeah I know what you mean. It sounds like you're leaning more toward just parting it out. Maybe sell it as-is to someone who wants to tinker with it. :shrug:

Yeah I know what you mean. It sounds like you're leaning more toward just parting it out. Maybe sell it as-is to someone who wants to tinker with it. :shrug:

If I had it to do all over again, I would have just parted it out. I've invested a lot of time into it though, so I'm gonna stick it out a little longer. I bought a $20 valve shim tool late last night online. It'll be here in a few days. I just did a valve adjustment on a modern 16-valve Triumph last year which uses the same size shims, so I've got a couple dozen of those laying around. I'm hoping I'll have what I need, and I'm hoping I do not have an burnt valves. This is the hurtle that is either going to make it or break it. We'll see how it goes. I'll either have a running bike, or I'll be going back to Plan-A and part it out.

Did a valve adjustment last night and brought everything within spec. It just didn't help. I think I have bigger issues. At this point I've spent way too much time on this bike and am ready to cut bait. I will be resorting back to Plan-A and will be breaking it down in the coming days unfortunately.

Wittom.
I think the fact that your putting the time in to get it running is just fantastic. I am 70/30 to not tearing running bikes down to part out. I haven't had to get a used part from a tear down for my bike yet but that is not to say I won't in the future. We do need the odd bike to be torn down to supply our hobby with much needed obsolete parts.

One thing that did come to my mind is the cam chain. My friend had a chain jump a couple of teeth and his bike ran rough as you describe but it also damaged a few of the valves because of the wrong timing.

How much for the frame and title
I have a pending sale on the bike as a whole. If that falls through, I will start parting it out and we can figure out a fair number.

I think the fact that your putting the time in to get it running is just fantastic. I am 70/30 to not tearing running bikes down to part out. I haven't had to get a used part from a tear down for my bike yet but that is not to say I won't in the future. We do need the odd bike to be torn down to supply our hobby with much needed obsolete parts.
I've parted a few bikes out (normally without titles, or far beyond making roadworthy). I almost always have some critics that believe I'm committing a crime (hehe) and I don't mind so much, but most people do eventually realize that parts have to come from somewhere, and many see it as providing a service to the motorcycle community. ;)

One thing that did come to my mind is the cam chain. My friend had a chain jump a couple of teeth and his bike ran rough as you describe but it also damaged a few of the valves because of the wrong timing.
The timing is one of the things that I have suspected, but altering the ignition timing does not seem to make much of a difference. So it's quite possible that it could very well be a jumped chain as you've mentioned (or perhaps someone has been there before me, and not put it back as it should be).

Back