• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Wiring Custom Speedo and Tach

jacksondee

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I bought a custom Speedo and Tach from Dime City Cycles because I'm sick of looking at the monstrosity of an instrument cluster I have on my '81 CB750F.

Looks easy enough to wire, the speedo included a wiring diagram. But its a LED backlit speedo that only has one connection for power to the backlight. The wiring diagram in the owner's manual for the bike shows it has power supplied to two lights for the speedo, two lights for the tach, and one light for the odometer. So the instrument cluster has 5 total power wire for backlights.

So what the heck do I do? Do I use just one of the five positive wires to the one power wire on the new speedo and tape off the rest of them? And then same for the tach? So I'd be using 2 of the total 5 wires, one to power the backlight of the speedo and one to power the backlight of the tach, then tape off the other 3 power wire and their negatives?

Also, the speedo has one indicator light on it for turn signals. But the current inst cluster has individual right and left turn signal indicators. I assume that i wire both the right and left turn signal indicator positive wires to the one individual turn signal indicator on the new speedo?

Here is the pic of the wiring diagram of the new speedo. I can take a pic of the wiring diagram in the owner's manual of the bike too if that helps.

Thanks from Chicago
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...ack-face-led-speedo-speedometer-25-7032b.html
speedo wiring.JPG
photo (86).JPG

Last edited:
Pls kindly help to know the meaning of wiring Brown/Red and Black/yellow from Motorcycle Gauges Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Meter For Honda CB750

$_57.JPG

1h.jpg

Thank you so much

If that is a Chinese gauge set there will be no help there...................past that you need a year, make, and model there..........40 years of CB there.

If that is a Chinese gauge set there will be no help there...................past that you need a year, make, and model there..........40 years of CB there.

The picture above is coped from internet. This gauge is original from CB750 Honda. Thanks amc49

That did nothing to change my answer.........................FORTY YEARS of production there!!! I have 5 CB750s and none have gauges like that.

The wiring color codes can change from year to year and model to model even though Honda has been one of the better OEMs about keeping the colors the same for more than one year. That cannot go on forever. I ran down a couple wire colors based on the back of the gauges and they don't match DOHC color codes..........

Even the top pic clashes with itself, one unit shows a bright indicator and ONE turn and the other shows TWO turns and no bright, no way will those color codes be the same there............

That did nothing to change my answer.........................FORTY YEARS of production there!!! I have 5 CB750s and none have gauges like that.

The wiring color codes can change from year to year and model to model even though Honda has been one of the better OEMs about keeping the colors the same for more than one year. That cannot go on forever. I ran down a couple wire colors based on the back of the gauges and they don't match DOHC color codes..........

Even the top pic clashes with itself, one unit shows a bright indicator and ONE turn and the other shows TWO turns and no bright, no way will those color codes be the same there............

Hi amc49. Thanks for your help

was answering OP's original questions, but just realized, those questions are close to 4 years old...never mind

Back